• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Anybody with Redverz Tent?

Options two up!

My wife and I rode two up and camped all the way across the USA last year on the GSA1200 with room, but this GSA seems to pack it better than a RT. Our previous KLT1200 would NOT do it, so we towed a trailer and many RT owners take this option for 2 up camping. The GSA does it quite well, without towing. WE were heavy though and this new tent would TAX the issue moreso. Its a 14lb tent. My wife rides her own bike most of the times out and about. This one trip we had to go 2up. Tne GSA weighed in at 1200lbs loaded, both of us on it and all gear for camping. This IS about 150lbs overloaded by BMW specs. WE took the risk and it worked well, no issues. Only you can make this choice, riding heavy. Its not always a good thing. The trailer option works extremely well for most and the RT does it well. Randy

How long did it take you to erect the tent Randy? I have a similar layout, with a lower tent from England. What I like about mine is I can put the fly up in the rain, and then assembly the tent inside the fly, keeping the tent dry. Does the Redverz also allow you to do this? As well, the other feature that I like about both tents is having what I call a "mudroom" where I can leave my boots, cases, etc. leaving the actual tent free of extra stuff.

Timed setups;

Well, my first try went slow at about 12 minutes. 2nd time, under 10 minutes and I have seen it done in 5 minutes by others at rallies. The website video shows a quick setup time, so practice makes perfect. The inner tent is prepackaged from Redverz, all connected already and I have yet to separate the two(looks easy). YES, the inner tent is a separate entity to answer your question. I think I will leave the two together, until I see a need to do otherwise. The LARGER than life front room is indeed a great place to hang out from sun or rain without getting the sleeping area all messed up. Like this a LOT:). My previous camps have been a small backpackers tent style(5lbs+) and then a separate para wing fly arrangement(5lbs+)(stakes and poles,5lbs) for the lounging about area from sun/rain...It was a good system, still have it, BUT this new one incorparates all the above in one unit and quite faster to set up. IT DOES have one drawback, as it packs rather large and I have been experimenting with that and just how I will do it on the bike. It comes with a real nice pack bag with 4 straps for snugging down or compressing pack. Nice feature. I do not think this new tent takes any more space than my previous backpacker/parawing combo package. The new one may be 2-3 lbs heavier than previous camp setup(maybe not adding the above weights). No issue for mc travel. I have yet to travel with this new tent, but find it very attracting to get under way with it this coming touring season. BTW; Redverz owner(Kevin) is English, I Think and a delight to speak with by phone and email. He is very QUICK to respond personally to your concerns, as he did in my case...This too is impressive nowadays! He should do well:). Randy

Just got back from camping at Daytona. Erected the tent on Thursday and answered questions about it the whole time I was there. I used the porch/vestibule for my Kermit chair and table and the small vestibule for storing my u-bag and Ortleib dry bag. There was frost on Friday morning, cool on Saturday morning, and fog Sunday morning. It is great to be able to stand up to dress/undress and have more than enough room for all my gear. In the future I will probably use a cheap (HF) tarp for the porch area or at least part of it. I also bought the kit that allows you to use one of the side entrance doors as an awning covered entrance. Since I ride solo the rear top-case on my CLC was removed and a JO's U-bag now provides more storage than was available before. I'm quite pleased with this tent and will put it to good use traveling to/from the Salem,OR Rally. I used my MSR stove and Jetboil in the porch on 2 occasions to brew coffee. This will be a blessing during inclement or windy weather. I bought the yellow tent as it stays brighter as the sun sets and allows me to read longer without using up the batteries in my head lamp. A side benefit of the porch is that when all entrances are closed the porch was significantly warmer than being outside the tent.

RIDE SAFE

Answer, BOB:)

Condensation? I have only used it once in my yard, no wet got inside from dew. The website at Redverz has a plenty to google over, including videos. Wife and I put two air matresses(twins) in the sleeping area, filled it with these. Our two REI air pads are noticbly smaller and give some foot room in sleeping area. SO, the sleep area is a queen size bed for comparison. TWO vestibules, two doors make for easy storing anything you could carry along, including the bike, if one wishes. I no longer have any need to sleep with my gear inside tent sleeping area ever again, as the extra roomy vestibules are king size capable:). It leaves you staring with amazement, all the room for relaxing:). 6'2" headroom too. Randy

Like best:)

One of the best features I have found is YOU can set this BIG tent up solo, all by yourself quite easy. A partner along as in Wife:), makes this a no brainer ordeal indeed. The tent is well designed for solo travel and really keeps the better half smiling, with all its room for two. Having the bike parked in the "living room" has always been an issue in the house too:). I may have to keep it out of the tent garage, living room, when she is along!LOL Randy

We have had our green Redverz for 2 years and we love it, we have used it a lot. We both ride, so the size isn't an issue. We made the tent even more livable by making a ground cloth for the vestibule also. We bought a discounted ground cloth that was big enough and my wife cut it to fit, trimming it and adding shock cord loops that we put over the tent stakes that are already there for the tent. Another thing we did was color code the end for the smaller pole, a red loop on the small pole grommets. That helps keep the placement of the sleeping area where you want it. We also added/affixed thin shock cord elastic to keep the cords tidy and untangled. We use the awning option often also - it helps stake out space in crowded places too.

Lots of good info here, I am looking at purching a new tent this year and this has been one I am interested in... Thanks all :thumb

My almost two year old second generation did well at the Georgia Mountain Regatta last weekend no leaks and withstood high winds!

Annie and I have used one for three years. Overall we are satisfied. They do pack large, but are fairly easy to erect. We always have two sets of hands to put up and take down the tent. That could be an issue. The space is great to have. Storage, sitting and dressing are all a breeze.

When you say they pack "large" are they larger then the size indicated in the literature?

No problem;

I forgot what literature says, but mine goes back in bag it came it, minus poles in a separate bag. I like to carry my poles separate anyhow. The tent bag is probably 20"X 9 or 10", guessing. Not hard to carry on my GSA1200 backseat, solo. 2up, you may consider this a bigger challenge or tow a trailer. I have the green one, LIKE. After a few setups, you get better at it too. My 1st attempt had me slow, maybe 12 minutes. And now much quicker in maybe 7 minutes or less, she is livable. I've never seen a simpler BIG tent setup, therefore I own one now:). This has eliminated my parawing sun shade setup and smaller tent, which ALL took forever to get camp set. Randy

I forgot what literature says, but mine goes back in bag it came it, minus poles in a separate bag. I like to carry my poles separate anyhow. The tent bag is probably 20"X 9 or 10", guessing. Not hard to carry on my GSA1200 backseat, solo. 2up, you may consider this a bigger challenge or tow a trailer. I have the green one, LIKE. After a few setups, you get better at it too. My 1st attempt had me slow, maybe 12 minutes. And now much quicker in maybe 7 minutes or less, she is livable. I've never seen a simpler BIG tent setup, therefore I own one now:). This has eliminated my parawing sun shade setup and smaller tent, which ALL took forever to get camp set. Randy

Specs are fine solo. Would probably create a problem when two up.

Agreed;

Wife and I have packed the GSA1200 2up camping and its overloaded by 100+ lbs.. Bike did very well, never knew the weight was that heavy on board, as we crossed the USA. GSA is an exception to the rule, as one of the BMWs that loads really well and easy. Running heavy though is a personal choice and not always safe, so know yours and bike limits really well! A trailer is so much better for two if camping and needing to be comfy. I see two up's all the time at rallies and camping off one bike. USUALLY quite a picture and heavily loaded every time. Not a new phenom either, as decades have passed and I have been to rallies all over and the packing BMWs is always a sight to see and what folks get on board:). Somebody could do a picture essay book on this alone, lol. My GSA runs right at 950/1000 lbs. when I travel far, solo and all my camp on board, full of gas. Gross for this bike is 1050 lbs. Add wife and we were over, mentioned above...Randy

Back