• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'86 R80RT paint progress

Are you replacing the strip gasket between the inner and outer fairing? You need to glue the strip to the edge of the inner fairing. I just did this. There is a product called automotive goop i got at my local auto parts store. I have also seen it sold as shoe goop. It does an excellent job. Any mess can be cleaned off with acetone ( nail polish remover) which doesn't mar the plastic or the gasket. You will also need a bunch of those large spring clips fron the office supply I used 1.25" wide ones. It sets in about an hour so can do the whole gasket (one side) in an evening if you do it in manageable 10" or so sections. Max didn't list the lower gaskets any more but they are the same as top gasket so buy 4 of those and cut to fit the lower pieces. The glue goes on the back side not the side shown in photo as the gasket is split to slide over the edge of the plastic.

gasket_zps38be5bd5.jpg

Why not use gel contact cement from Lowe's etc for that seal strip?
Not familiar with it. I think the Goo stuff is good as it gives you about 5 minutes set up time to adjust the seating and get the clamps on, is readilly available and as I said the clean up with acetone is easy. Have you a comment on these three specifications? I'm interested in case I have to install the gasket on another bike. Thanks.

Back