• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

This new website format is AWFUL!!!!

Omega Man,

From my perspective, the problem with the new website, specifically the FleaMarket, is the lack of ability to sort and filter. The old website allowed filtering of K vs R bikes. It now appears that this feature is non existent. Hence, one has to decorticate through the entire listing to view a search. Another issue is the lack of pictures without the need for clicking. ;)
Well, I took a peek at the BMW Motorcycles for sale area and things seem to be humming along quite nicely at the moment. As most are getting adjusted to including the model of bike they have for sale in the title, it seems real easy to identify what a seller has for sale by looking at the title. As things progress, the other small snag we have- including the price and location in a post- will probably iron itself out.
As it seems that this rash of complaining seems to be more aimed at the flea market set-up rather than the forum at large, it makes me feel better.
We at the Mod Team have been working on overtime to keep the forum and flea market running well with the most disappointed in the flea market being the few that have been using it commercially- which is not allowed. OM

From my perspective, the problem with the new website, specifically the FleaMarket, is the lack of ability to sort and filter. The old website allowed filtering of K vs R bikes. It now appears that this feature is non existent. Hence, one has to decorticate through the entire listing to view a search. Another issue is the lack of pictures without the need for clicking. ;)

I wasn't around the old Flea Market much, but what I remember is that you could click on a link that would retrieve only say Airheads or K-Bikes...sort of a built in "filter". If it would help, I can add specific categories under "BMW Motorcycle" such as Airheads, K-Bikes, Oilhead/Camhead/Hexhead, etc. From that point on, all posts must be put in their proper category. We can sort the ones there now and get them correctly listed. Would that help??

As for looking at pictures, that is a feature of being inside the forum versus having the Flea Market as a separate entity. Inside the forum means you have to click on a post to see what the post is all about...can't change that. Once we get back to having the Flea Market as a separate feature, I'm sure that capability wil return.

Go directly to the Forum without being signed in.

As mentioned, if you're always logged in, you don't see that. That is something that the front office will have to change. Thanks for pointing that out...I'll pass it on.

Update: No, it looks like I can get to that. Let me see what I can do!!

There's a valid argument for retaining certain features the old website had - namely, separating the classifieds by type (airhead, oil head, hex head, k-Bikes, other). Seems that could be easily remedied?

But, as far as complaining about it "looking different" and whining about the change - that's kinda sad. I find this format MUCH more accessible to different parts of the forum. Like someone said, V-Bulletin is the Cadillac for running forums....

I've been a member since 2001, but I rarely used the forum (only 4 posts since the forum started). I would just cruise the classifieds before - I've already posted in the forum twice today (so far)!

Thanks for your hard work, mods....

There are now separate categories for each type of bike in the BMW Motorcycles for sale section. Some of the types (K-bikes, F-bikes) are combined to keep things down to a dull roar!!

Well done!

There are now separate categories for each type of bike in the BMW Motorcycles for sale section. Some of the types (K-bikes, F-bikes) are combined to keep things down to a dull roar!!

Good job Kurt. A bit thankyou to you and the rest of the VOLUNTEER Moderators that are working hard to keep this forum running smoothly. :clap :thumb

Separate Categories

BRAVO ZULU to those who have effectuated that change. That's exactly what I was referring to in my post. The pictures, well I can live with having them a click away. The categories are going to clean things up and are an improvement. Change is good when it is warranted.

I appreciate you taking the time to listen and act promptly on positive feedback.

ghyber

I realize this is mostly a boxer site, but could you break down the K bikes into three sections like you did the boxers?
1 Early Bricks, K75, K100, K1100
2 K1200 Brick
3 K1200/1300/1600 Slant Four/ Slant Six

Not a complaint, just making a suggestion.

I realize this is mostly a boxer site, but could you break down the K bikes into three sections like you did the boxers?
2 K1200 Brick

No axe to grind in any way just curious to hear your reaction.

I can see how and why you would break the K series down as you suggested. However, would breaking it into two sub forums Brick and Slant Ks get the forum to the same place?

In the early days we argued for all sorts of expansions with sub forums. The mods at the time commented about concerns of diluting the forum member base to below the critical mass needed to keep a discussion going.

No axe to grind in any way just curious to hear your reaction.

I can see how and why you would break the K series down as you suggested. However, would breaking it into two sub forums Brick and Slant Ks get the forum to the same place?

That would work as long as the boxers are broke into two groups. :)

For others who may reply, lets keep this discussion lite :)

2 K1200 Brick

Lee -

My direction in developing the subforums in the BMW Motorcycles section of the Flea Market was essentially taken from the old Flea Market...they had a K-Bike section with no distinction for the individual models. As I said, I was trying to provide some organization but keeping things to a "dull roar." Currently there's a pretty decent spread in number of bikes for sale in the four big categories.

But, I'll consider it. It's a time consuming process to accomplish this.

Thanks...

I don't know why some think this new format is awful. Both the MOA and a car forum changed to the same software about the same time. This new software is the best because you click the new post and see the new post in all the other catogories. You did not have this in the old forum. The flea market is the only I would back the way it was.

I stay logged in and when I do come to this forum, I just click "new posts" to get the latest. It works, and works well. I like it. Keep up the good work.

This is one of the WORST site formats I have seen or worked with --- EVER!! Why would you call this an improvement?!?!

What's so bad about it? You are able to Bit*h about it and be seen aren't you? Should make you happy.

Ken

I stay logged in and when I do come to this forum, I just click "new posts" to get the latest.

Even better: I saved this string: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/search.php?do=getnew as my Forum link in my browser's Bookmarks. When I select the Bookmark, new Forum posts are displayed directly; no additional click-through is needed.

As to the Flea Market: yes, one can't search as well as in the old system. As I understand it, the current setup is temporary, and will be replaced likely sometime this Spring. Because searching is useful, I hope it will be available in the new system.

Very confusing

I'm thinking that my PC skill level is low since all I see is BUSY and a helluva lot that makes no sense, is every one else in this club that smart in our new age ?? I'm an old guy and what is the average age of the our club member again, I didn't grow up with this new electronic age and just went to spell check which is another trap.
O, the question is how do you send a private message ?????????????????? From a 30 year member !!!!!!!!

O, the question is how do you send a private message ?????????????????? From a 30 year member !!!!!!!!

Lets say your want to PM me.
Click on my screen name "Lee"
Click on "Private message" and a window will open like email.
You can try it on me if you like.

Back