Thread: Shipping Bike to AK

Shipping Bike to AK

I'm considering shipping my bike from CO to either Haines or Anchorage, AK this May. Any advice and lessons learned would be appreicated. Thanks.
    rmac

Pack it well!

A rough trip by truck, so be sure your shipper KNOWS his stuff? I used to truck, 18 wheelers in BC and Alberta long ago, know my knowledge of this. Seattle/VancouverBC HAVE shipping via waterways, probably a much safer option,imo. . A tough shopping list I think, finding this request, but probably out there. Randy

Jack Herbst
    Barging to AK would be the way most shipping is done. Cars, equipment etc. Leaves SEA several times a week.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Thumbs up Alaska Marine Highway

You might consider the Alaska Marine Highway ferries. One leaves from Bellingham WA, cruises up the inside passage, and can land you in Skagway or Haines. The ferry takes bikes as well as cars, trucks, etc... It's a really scenic and stress free way to get up there. IMHO.
    Warmest regards,
    Doc Reid Hester
    Wondering about your drinking? Consider our FREE Drinker's Checkup
    Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

I lived in Alaska for many years. I know of several people who shipped bikes on Alaska Airlines flights. The cost was reasonable according to those who shipped.

Go over on ADV Rider's Alaska regional forum and do a search. I know that inmate Cubdriver has posted about his experiences shipping a F650GS twin on Alaska Air.

EDIT: Look here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...alaska+airline
    Last edited by AKBEEMER; 05-25-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost