• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which headset is best??

I'm starting to think about buying a headset and am basically overwhelmed with the amount of info out there so I'm asking which headset is best? I want a bluetooth headset that has good souns quality and connects easily. Most of my riding is solo so sound quality is important to me. I also want a headset that will work well when riding in groups or on occasion when I ride with a passenger. I'm leaning toward the Sene SMH10 now but the Interphone F5 looks appealing too. I'd even consider BMW's communication system if it works best. Thanks!

We use a Scala Rider Teamset Pro. It is great for rider/passenger communication, instructions from the GPS and even the times I've tried it with the phone. But, it is seriously lacking when using for music and Scala even admits it is a weak link there. In other words it does voice good but not music.

We have the Sena 10-11 units and love them. Works great with all helmet types due to the mic options, streams bt music, engages phone voice commands, phone works incredibly well through the headset and the intercom is priceless.

+1 on Sena. We have been very happy with ours. WebBikeWorld.com has good reviews of all the systems.

Sena. Good sound, good volume, easy to pair with other devices, great battery life, very easy to use with gloves, pairs easy with other Sena units, outstanding broadcast distance. I use mine on every ride. Quite often when people call me they can't tell I'm on the bike.

Even though I mentioned Scala and use it I'm considering getting a Sena system as it has the ability to communicate with other Sena sets on other motorcycles at a price very comparable with our Scala Rider Teamset Pro.

I have a Scala G9 set. Being able to talk to my passenger is great. The radio is great. Have my GPS is Bluetooth. Have my Nano Bluetooth connected but a mp3 can be hard plug in. Music quality is real good.

I have the Cardo Scala unit and because it does not provide great music quality, I simply mounted small helmet speakers made for MC helmets behind them in the helmet, best of both worlds. Same can be done for the Sena units.

You can just get the earbud baseplate for the SENA and plug in your favorite set of earbuds. IF you want to use the stock speakers put in earplugs and I think you will find the music quality will get better

A couple years ao the Sena set got the best rating on wbbikeworld which was later surpassed by the newest model Cardo
Bsically the Cardo and Sena folks keep trading the top spot and, at present, there isn't that much to choose between them for pure performance- the differences are mostly now in the less critical items relevant mostly to those who push the edge of what a bluetooth unit can reasonably do. Either should work well for you.

I started using bluetooth sets years ago when the first Cardos were available and have stayed with them through multiple generations because they have maintained generation compatibility (also be aware that different makers sets typically do not communicate with each other due to software variations).

Mine are used mostly for bike to bike comms with my SO- the range approaches a mile which is plenty for normal use though in mountains cliff areas may be reduced to as little as 1/4 mile which is still enough for us. Although these sets have the capability to connect to phone and gps, etc, we both have found that we prefer not to connect those items- our focus is on rider safety and info comms, not unrelated stuff. The gps can be read, the phone is a needless distraction and neither of us care for music while riding together.. I sometimes connect the other stuff when riding solo but only rarely. Music sound quality from a bluetooth headset is poor unless you are using a good set of in ear speakers with it- the helmet attached speakers provide crappy music but are ok for speech.

If you're riding a BMW with its Bluetooth radio and you have BMW communicator headsets for both rider and passenger, pushing the Mute button on the radio converts the system to a driver/passenger intercom.

I've been using the SENA SMH10 for the past 6 months and I'm pretty happy with it. I think it's hard to find everything I want in one headset, but the SENA has good feature in my book (the big jog dial is great). I use mine with headphone and the separate headphone baseplate for commuting 4 days a week (70 miles round trip). This allows me to enjoy my music while taking/making calls (Siri helps with that as well). I still have not quite memorized all the controls for the SENA, but I have the basics down and it works great as a comm system as well. My buddy has one as well and we've had some great rides being able to chat while we ride.

Word of advice, the stock speakers are terrible and very tinny sounding if listening to music and I quickly had to spend another $30 to get the headphone baseplate. SENA unfortunately doesn't make a combo speaker/headphone jack baseplate and has been ignoring a support thread about it for well over a year now. The speakers are great for just comms, but you apparently can't have both. If you know you will use headphones like I do, there are some sites that sell the SENA unit separate from the baseplate, so you can buy the unit with a headphone baseplate and not have to spend the extra $30.

I've been using the SENA SMH10 for the past 6 months and I'm pretty happy with it. I think it's hard to find everything I want in one headset, but the SENA has good feature in my book (the big jog dial is great). I use mine with headphone and the separate headphone baseplate for commuting 4 days a week (70 miles round trip). This allows me to enjoy my music while taking/making calls (Siri helps with that as well). I still have not quite memorized all the controls for the SENA, but I have the basics down and it works great as a comm system as well. My buddy has one as well and we've had some great rides being able to chat while we ride.

Word of advice, the stock speakers are terrible and very tinny sounding if listening to music and I quickly had to spend another $30 to get the headphone baseplate. SENA unfortunately doesn't make a combo speaker/headphone jack baseplate and has been ignoring a support thread about it for well over a year now. The speakers are great for just comms, but you apparently can't have both. If you know you will use headphones like I do, there are some sites that sell the SENA unit separate from the baseplate, so you can buy the unit with a headphone baseplate and not have to spend the extra $30.

Try using your speakers with earplugs in. They cancel out a lot of the higher frequency noises and makes them sound WAY better.

Best Headset

I have an Interphone F5S with the specific speaker and microphone kit for my Schuberth C3 helmet and the Interphone handlebar mounted remote. I have been using it only for solo riding for navigation, music and sending/receiving phone calls. The ease of use, functions and sound quality are excellent! My cellphone is bluetoothed to my gps and my gps and remote control are bluetoothed to my headset.
Do the research.:)

Back