Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which headset is best??

Which headset is best??

I'm starting to think about buying a headset and am basically overwhelmed with the amount of info out there so I'm asking which headset is best? I want a bluetooth headset that has good souns quality and connects easily. Most of my riding is solo so sound quality is important to me. I also want a headset that will work well when riding in groups or on occasion when I ride with a passenger. I'm leaning toward the Sene SMH10 now but the Interphone F5 looks appealing too. I'd even consider BMW's communication system if it works best. Thanks!

We have the SENAs after several other mfg's units, and the SENA is best hands down!

We use a Scala Rider Teamset Pro. It is great for rider/passenger communication, instructions from the GPS and even the times I've tried it with the phone. But, it is seriously lacking when using for music and Scala even admits it is a weak link there. In other words it does voice good but not music.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Which headset is best??

Quote Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
    We have the SENAs after several other mfg's units, and the SENA is best hands down!
    +1
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

We have the Sena 10-11 units and love them. Works great with all helmet types due to the mic options, streams bt music, engages phone voice commands, phone works incredibly well through the headset and the intercom is priceless.

+1 on Sena. We have been very happy with ours. WebBikeWorld.com has good reviews of all the systems.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Sena. Good sound, good volume, easy to pair with other devices, great battery life, very easy to use with gloves, pairs easy with other Sena units, outstanding broadcast distance. I use mine on every ride. Quite often when people call me they can't tell I'm on the bike.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Re: Which headset is best??

+1 on Sena.

Even though I mentioned Scala and use it I'm considering getting a Sena system as it has the ability to communicate with other Sena sets on other motorcycles at a price very comparable with our Scala Rider Teamset Pro.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

I have a Scala G9 set. Being able to talk to my passenger is great. The radio is great. Have my GPS is Bluetooth. Have my Nano Bluetooth connected but a mp3 can be hard plug in. Music quality is real good.
    1975 R90/6, 1980 and 1982 R65, !959 TR3A Triumph Car

jeepinbanditrider
    Sena smh10.

It use to be that when we talked headsets and motorcycles, it meant the part that held the forks to the frame...

I have the Cardo Scala unit and because it does not provide great music quality, I simply mounted small helmet speakers made for MC helmets behind them in the helmet, best of both worlds. Same can be done for the Sena units.

jeepinbanditrider
    You can just get the earbud baseplate for the SENA and plug in your favorite set of earbuds. IF you want to use the stock speakers put in earplugs and I think you will find the music quality will get better

A couple years ao the Sena set got the best rating on wbbikeworld which was later surpassed by the newest model Cardo
    Bsically the Cardo and Sena folks keep trading the top spot and, at present, there isn't that much to choose between them for pure performance- the differences are mostly now in the less critical items relevant mostly to those who push the edge of what a bluetooth unit can reasonably do. Either should work well for you.

I started using bluetooth sets years ago when the first Cardos were available and have stayed with them through multiple generations because they have maintained generation compatibility (also be aware that different makers sets typically do not communicate with each other due to software variations).

Mine are used mostly for bike to bike comms with my SO- the range approaches a mile which is plenty for normal use though in mountains cliff areas may be reduced to as little as 1/4 mile which is still enough for us. Although these sets have the capability to connect to phone and gps, etc, we both have found that we prefer not to connect those items- our focus is on rider safety and info comms, not unrelated stuff. The gps can be read, the phone is a needless distraction and neither of us care for music while riding together.. I sometimes connect the other stuff when riding solo but only rarely. Music sound quality from a bluetooth headset is poor unless you are using a good set of in ear speakers with it- the helmet attached speakers provide crappy music but are ok for speech.