• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'91 R100GS tranny - check for circlip and refresh

grahamm

Hi all,

Now that I refreshed my spare tranny and added the circlip and new bearings it is time to tackle the tranny that matches my bike.

Big question is circlip or no circlip???? Got her all apart tonight and surprise surprise it was there! Bizzare, thought they only started putting it back in in '95... Oh well saves me $60 in machining costs.

I have taken time elapse photos with the gopro so I will get around to posting the tear down and reassembly as it happens.

My only complaint about my tranny before I tore it down was that sometimes I needed to lift the shifter before making the next down shift... Might not have been the tranny as I found the shifter quite stiff on it's shaft.

Everything looks quite nice inside the tranny... Will take a closer look at everything in coming weeks.

Last edited:
Might be wise to replace the shifter spring. Whichever one that breaks frequently.

Might be wise to replace the shifter spring. Whichever one that breaks frequently.

Springs are on the list, there are altering opinions on them.... "If they ain't broken don't touch" and "replace them every time the tranny is open". I am changing do to the sticky shift that I think was a binding shifter lever on the frame stud, but just in case the springs are weakening.

Arg... The circlip for the shifting cam plate... Missing! That means it was floating back forth on the shaft and likely binding a bit on the shifting arm and others. Maybe that was my sticky shifting issue. That missing circlip nowhere in sight in the casing so I guess it was never installed or came out through the drain before I got the bike.

R100GSShifterNoCirclip_zps472b0809.jpg

Last edited:
That has to be the problem. I see some guys replace the nylon roller with a steel bearing. The bearing picture was posted by you!

That has to be the problem. I see some guys replace the nylon roller with a steel bearing. The bearing picture was posted by you!

Yep... Will be putting a bearing to replace that nylon roller on this tranny as well.

Back