• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Memorial Day 2013 Road Trip

tmwkicker

My dad and I are looking to take our first major trip together this coming Memorial Day. I've included the link below that contains the entire route that we plan to take. The trip is going to take place from May 24th to June 1st. We are going to Gettysburg, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Arlington Cemetery, Monticello, Lexington, VA., Charleston, SC., The BMW Manufacturing Plant in Spartanburg, SC., Dragon's Tail, and back up to Ohio.

Does anyone have any expertise at any of these places? What we are looking for is where to visit, what food/restaurants to try, what to avoid, what resources to use in preparing, as well as what to use while we are on the trip, etc. We are open to any and all advice! Thanks!

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Canton,+OH&daddr=Gettysburg,+PA+to:philadelphia,+PA+to:Arlington,+VA+to:Monticello,+Charlottesville,+VA+to:Lexington,+VA+to:Charleston,+SC+to:Greenville,+SC+to:Tail+of+the+Dragon,+Tapoco+Road,+Robbinsville,+NC+to:Lexington,+KY+to:Columbus,+OH+to:Canton,+OH&hl=en&ll=37.840157,-79.584961&spn=12.811195,21.906738&sll=36.871741,-79.905598&sspn=12.974859,21.906738&geocode=FeOKbgIdcUMm-ympgJnST8g2iDFLb_qfpJvMEg%3BFZHFXwIdCIxl-ym5y2hpu1TIiTG-73MJQangdg%3BFc-fYQIdcxeF-ynrS7XU2LfGiTHBWD6M2BT1iQ%3BFeJCUQIdrnFn-ykPp6d7nba3iTGTsPZFyG_P-A%3BFaD9QwIdgulS-yFk31TNdgDvyynrbMQUJ4aziTFk31TNdgDvyw%3BFdWJQAIdgMxD-ynlpbBX0MhMiDFgAIPi1IEY6A%3BFXYh9AEd1lk8-yl3JKjcQnr-iDFr7OGu4Pf6NQ%3BFQrPEwIdZsQW-ykFEfpiZo9XiDGWdiW_d52q2A%3BFYYtHQIdx3r_-iHCLrlFnZUw7yldPl1rML5eiDHCLrlFnZUw7w%3BFQh0RAIdXJP2-ikl65zMKURCiDHdT4yQQYPwhA%3BFVjCYQId9okN-ylx3pC5wYk4iDEztbHP-GYy5A%3BFeOKbgIdcUMm-ympgJnST8g2iDFLb_qfpJvMEg&gl=us&mra=ls&t=h&z=6

Greetings
If you are going to the Smokies you will have to ride the Cherohala Skyway, then turn around and ride it again
You should include the souther part (nicest) of the BRP from Asheville to I 77. See Mt Micthell, ride the Diamondback in Little Switzerland (lodging and food). Fog or clouds can spoil this ride.
In DC take the sunset segway tour of Washington DC around the National Mall. They are worth the cost and you will have a really good time seeing the National Mall at sunset. Segways are alot of fun.
Tony

Are you committed to using interstates? There are some nice non-interstate routes in SE PA that'll get you from Gettysburg to Philly and south to MD. If time permits, you might enjoy some of these and I and others could certainly point some of these out to you.

Back