• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tank removal, 1987 K100RT

mckayprod

OK, I'm stuck. Every description I've seen about How To Remove The Fuel Tank says to "remove the two pins at the rear corners of the tank". The Clymer manual goes further and says to remove them with pliers. I'll be damned if I can get them to budge. What's the trick? I need to raise the tank far enough to replace a sticky relay in the electrical box. Thanks for the help.

If it says "remove two pins" it is WRONG!

There ARE two approx. 3/8" diameter pins that are WELDED to the rear of the tank. These go down through two rubber bushings that go through two brackets that are welded to the top of the frame.

There SHOULD be two clips attached to the pins that keep the pins from lifting through the bushing. You remove the CLIPS, then lift the rear of the tank.

Pictures coming in the next 20 min.

:dance:dance:dance

Yes, with those clips removed you should be able to lift the rear of the tank up (pivoting it on the attachment point near the front of the tank, without actually removing it at all). That is, provided you have removed any bodywork attached to the sides of the tank as well.

If the tank hasn't been removed for some time, it may also be stuck to the rubber grommets surrounding the two welded pegs.

Also, my '87 K75C hasn't had those clips installed in the 12k miles I've owned it, and seems none the worse for it. There really seems no risk of the tank coming loose, particularly once I replaced the aforementioned rubber grommets for the price of some loose change. The new ones really keep the pegs tightly in place. And the grommets themselves actually are important, as the tank rubbing directly on the steel mounting points back there can dig into the aluminum tank wall (floor).

I've had my K a few clicks over 100,000 miles and to my knowledge, those clips have never been on my tank during my time with the bike. Never had a problem with the tank falling off. :laugh

Things USUALLY don't fall up.

The tank COULD come off in an accident. Probably not a good thing as it would severe fuel lines and spew fuel on an already bad situation. They put those there for a reason. Your bike, your choice.:dunno

Things USUALLY don't fall up. The tank COULD come off in an accident. Probably not a good thing as it would severe fuel lines and spew fuel on an already bad situation. They put those there for a reason. Your bike, your choice.:dunno

Never knew that they were supposed to be there, Lee. :scratch The original owner had all of his servicing done at the dealership, as I did initially when I got it, so I would I assume that a dealer's mechanic must have forgotten to install a new set when servicing it. Hence, when I took over servicing my K, I had no reason to know that the clips were supposed to be installed. I have these in stock and will insert a couple when I do my next service, before the bike leaves the garage for it's first spring ride. Thanks for the tip. :nod

There are two different sizes: pre 1/87 uses 12mm. Post 1/87 uses 10mm.

If you're not sure, measure the posts.

As always, thanks for the help. I didn't notice the retaining clips on those pins, but I'll sure look for them now! Maybe they rotated around to a less obvious position. I'll post later with a progress report. I'm sure mine are still attached; the tank isn't moving as it might if the clips were missing.

I've taken the tank off twice on my 1992 K75RT. Getting those clips out is easy, getting them back in is APITA.
It helps to have someone push down on the side of the tank your putting the clip in. Also put a light coat of grease on it first.

I will agree that the clips should be in place in case of an accident.

Tank Clips, You Need Them!

I had a little get off about two years ago in Costa Rica. Costa Rica driver 1, me 0, fuel tank 0.

If you look at the picture you can see my fuel tank on the ground next to the bike with the left and right rubber knee pads still attached.

Now look at my tank bag still on the bike. The front of the tank bag was secured by a strap going around the steering post and two straps that went down the back of the gas tank and secured to the diagonal cross brace under the seat.

The rear straps broke on the tank bag and the entire tank (sans two clips to hold the tank on) made a forward leap of faith when the driver crossed the road and hit me. I had about 4 gallons of fuel in the tank, it was heavy.

Had I had the clips installed I believe the tank would not have departed the bike like it did.

If you not sure you have the clips on YOUR bike, go look and make sure, just saying.

If the tank hasn't been off for years, it will be tough to remove. Lube the pins before trying to remove the tank. You can use WD40, Engine oil, Vaseline, or some grease. it will let the pin slide through the grommet easier. Place the bike on the center stand and activate the front brake (tie it or have a friend hold it. Grasp the back underside edge of the tank and steadily lift. It may take 2 people but it will come. When you put it back together, check the grommets for tearing or wear and lube with a little oil or grease. I 'd also lightly grease the pins and put the cir-clips on when done. It isn't pretty when the tank leaves its mount with you behind it. Gas goes all over you and the bike. BTDT

Alright! Thanks to you forum helpers, all is well. I found NO clips on my pins after all, but some judicious pulling and gentle leverage the tank moved out of the way enough for me to a.) pop the top of the electrical box, and b.) swap out the bad relay. The tank even went back ON well enough to get the side cover reinstalled. That's where some rubber lube would be most helpful, IMO. The turn signals and clock now work again! Those clips, by the way, look just like the ones that hold the seat linkage together. I think I'll get new ones to hold the tank in place after seeing the trouble caused by a loose one in a crash. Thanks again.

Back