• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

clutch installation

jsalmon

I'm doing a spline clean/lube job on a 2003 R1150RT with 55K miles. I did not mark the orientation of the clutch assy to the flywheel. I removed the clutch disk to inspect for wear and it measures OK. I did not remove the flywheel. When I re-install the clutch, is orientation important? Is there any issue regarding balance of the clutch assy? If so, is there a way to re-install the clutch assy with the correct orientation?

I'm doing a spline clean/lube job on a 2003 R1150RT with 55K miles. I did not mark the orientation of the clutch assy to the flywheel. I removed the clutch disk to inspect for wear and it measures OK. I did not remove the flywheel. When I re-install the clutch, is orientation important? Is there any issue regarding balance of the clutch assy? If so, is there a way to re-install the clutch assy with the correct orientation?

There absolutely is an issue. Try to find the original factory paint marks, usually appearing to be white or light tan smudges often as big as a dime. The three weighted pieces - clutch housing (flywheel), pressure plate, and clutch cover should each have a mark and these marks should be spaced as far apart as possible, as close to 120 degrees from each other as they allow. Do not line them all up - that would be maximum imbalance for the assembly.

The hazard - if you cannot find the marks - is that you stand a good chance that the assembly will be enough out of balance to cause an irritating vibration at various RPM, and abnormal wear on the rear main bearing and transmission input shaft front bearing can happen. You could luck out and by accident put them back in balance but you can't count on that luck so diligent looking for the marks is worthwhile.

I would thoroughly clean the parts ( and then dry them well of course) with plain old soap and water, to avoid using any cleaner/solvent that would remove the traces of the original paint marks.

I just went through exactly the same process as you did and Paul's explanation is right on the money. There were some other confusing paint marks on my parts. There were small different colour dots on each of the three parts in question about 1/8" diameter in size. Upon discussing the issue with my local BMW dealer who was quite helpful, I soon learned that the marks I should be looking for are whitish in colour and where about 1/4" wide or so and shaped like a random swipe. They were fairly easy to find on clutch housing, pressure plate and cover. There was also a round white dot on the spring plate that looked like a small bingo dabber had put it there (3/8" diameter). I assumed that was its heavy side and possitioned it accordingly. The BMW dealer service department said it was not possible in every case to get the marks 120 degrees apart, said to do your best. I my case it worked out perfectly (120 deg. apart).

The next time I have one apart I will be definitely marking it prior to taking it apart! Live and learn.

Cheers!

Bruce

Agreed and always have aligned the marks until the last time.....
All new parts from MAX and no marks!
Upon further investigation I found out they don't mark them anymore.

why are they not marking them? Did you get an explanation? Are they perfectly balanaced then? Hummm....

They "claim" each part is so near balanced now, its not an issue.
On the machine I just did it did not appear to be.
Makes sense, other assemblies for other vehicles are not marked.

Good point. Doesn't say much for BMW earlier machining and balancing capabilities! When the bike was fully assembled was it vibration free at 3-4k rmp?

Good point. Doesn't say much for BMW earlier machining and balancing capabilities! When the bike was fully assembled was it vibration free at 3-4k rmp?
They all have a harmonic at 4k - nature of the beast.
That's why when the 1200 was developed it needed a counterbalancer.

They all have a harmonic at 4k - nature of the beast.
That's why when the 1200 was developed it needed a counterbalancer.

True. But the balance of the clutch assembly is material to how much buzz, and at what RPM, you get it.

We bought a bike once that had a very irritating buzz at certain RPM. I rode its brothers and sisters of the same model/vintage and they were smoother. Tuning and synchronization didn't help. After Voni rode that bike through two seasons of rally field events it needed a clutch. When I replaced the clutch disk I discovered the factory paint marks all lined up by the previous clutch installer. I spread them out to as near a 120 degree spacing as possible and the irritating buzz was gone.

It may be in fact true that BMW no longer needs to mark these pieces. Their manufacturing is much more computerized and robotized than it used to be and that type of machine work can lend itself to very precise balance.

But on an older bike I was taking apart and putting together I'd mark the pieces before dis-assembly and if I forgot, I'd look carefully to find the factory marks.

I did a clutch job on my 03 RT and did not consider the placement of the markings......................Yup, I took it back apart a week later and did it right in order to stop a very unpleasant vibration, it worked.

I'm getting older.....I take a lot of medicine.........I'm a mechanic by trade.......I use a digital camera on every project,and take lots of pictures.........

Back