Thread: First Service: 600 Miles

First Service: 600 Miles

I'm getting a new R1200RT and I know that the first service is at 600 miles, but just riding home and straight back to the dealer is about a 660 round trip for me. What's that first service entail and how much past 600 miles is "okay"? I mean okay for the bike and okay to not void warranty.
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

I had over a thousand on mine when I took it in. I watched them perform the service and it was basically fluid changes. I wouldn't be too concerned with running a little over.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R100/7,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Well we can change fluids just about anywhere on the road. I thought they had to readjust cams or belts?
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

Safety check and fluid change.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by rapz View Post
    I'm getting a new R1200RT and I know that the first service is at 600 miles, but just riding home and straight back to the dealer is about a 660 round trip for me. What's that first service entail and how much past 600 miles is "okay"? I mean okay for the bike and okay to not void warranty.
    First service is primarily used to conduct all run-in checks, updating service date/mileage in the computer and an oil/filter change. There was no throttle body synch, trans or FD fluid change performed during the break-in service. Be advised, the check sheets generated by the dealer appear to change quite frequently and are based on the latest service/repair DVD provided to the dealers from BMW.

I pulled this from the manual in the event you were not aware, "Have the first inspection carried out after 300 - 750 mls (500 - 1200 km)." Based on this there is some room from 600 miles to get the service done. It has always been my intention to have the dealer perform the first service, to minimize future warranty issues, but I will perform all other maintenance on my own.

I hope this helps.

Scot

They changed all the fluids in mine including the FD. With the dual overhead cams the valve adjust was required at the first 6K.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R100/7,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

They just changed the oil on mine, but were supposed to change the FD and check the valves, at least according the sheet I have. When I did the valve adjust at 6k, they were very loose and the FD had grey paste come out of it. It's been fine so far, but that was one expensive oil change.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19