• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gearbox Ground Thread Stripped

The hole in the gearbox that receives the ground screw on my '88 R100 is now stripped. The bolt (23 11 1230599) as you may recall is aluminum as is the gearbox.
Has anyone used a thread insert product to repair this hole and if so, which brand and size was used and with what degree of success?
The repair will have to be undertaken and using a thread insert seems like the most cost effective and durable solution. Any thoughts?

Rick, the use of that "vented" bolt ith the machined "grub" on the end, goes all the way back to 1969. My '73 R75/5 uses it. The one in my bike is definitely NOT aluminum. The one in my buddy's /6 is not aluminum, and I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that the one that was in your R100 was not aluminum when it left the factory floor. If it is, someone has replaced it with an aluminum substitute. And considering that aluminum likes to gall onto itself might explain why your gearbox threads went away. That or the tendency most folks have of torquing the be-Jesus out of the bolt because it also secures the battery cable.

(stainless replacement)

53510S.jpg

That said, a "standard" metric Helicoil, Keensert, etc. should do the job. Installing it accurately, and making sure all the machining chips are out, without removing the rear cover might be another story.

I'll pull mine out and check the thread size; pretty sure it's a 6m x 1.0

I would think that the gear box would have to be removed to get a perfect alignment for drilling. That bolt holds the speedo cable and drive gear in also.

Can you consider some kind of "fix" to hold the speedo cable and find a ground with a tranny bolt?

Always fixable, but how far do you want to go to do it right? Of course you can relocate the ground wire, no problem as long as the cable will reach and the bolt is long enough. You still have to deal with the breather bolt either way. My guess, this isnt the first time this has happened. I will do some investigating since I have never done this repair personally....yet!

I keep asking if there is a spell check on here but havent found the answer to that either.

Yikes! This makes me wonder if it wouldn't be wise to obviate the situation and relocate the ground before this happens. These bikes are not getting any younger.

I keep asking if there is a spell check on here but havent found the answer to that either.

When replying to a post, there's a green check with "ABC" above the posting area...that's the spell check. You may have to download a companion program for it to work.

Grabit extractors : Dont leave home without them !

Something everyone should have in their tool box is a set of Grabit extractors. These things are the best solution to extracting stripped bolts I have ever seen simply because they work with a drill in reverse, so do not torque the broken bolt tighter. Lowes has these sets usually in stock. Be sure you get the recommended size for the bolt or screw you are trying to extract. They have saved me grief a bunch of times when stuff broke off.

http://www.thegrabitstore.com/Pages/howtouse.aspx

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I40wIyiuOCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When replying to a post, there's a green check with "ABC" above the posting area...that's the spell check. You may have to download a companion program for it to work.

I will send you a private message........I just sent it twice but it's not showing up in my sent message box so I dont know if you will get them.

Last edited:
repaired mine years ago with a basic Heli-coil. Did not have to remove trans to get a good line on it, but it wouldn't be a bad option.

Follow-up

Threads pitch is 6M x 1.0

KeenSert is a brand of thread repair product that I have used (not on my BMW). It worked well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XyCTh23Z6o0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mine was stripped in the first year from new...all I every did was to remove the washer, which gave enough thread to tighten. 'Been that way since '76 with no problems.

Yikes! This makes me wonder if it wouldn't be wise to obviate the situation and relocate the ground before this happens. These bikes are not getting any younger.

I have done this on every Airhead I've owned. This new-to-me R100RS I am working up will get the treatment the first time I have to pull that vented screw out of the transmission.

Spell check is embedded in your browser nowadays.
If you are using Firefox click on Tools, Options, Advanced and in the Browsing box check the "Check my spelling as I type" option. Incorrect spelling will be underlined with a red squiggly line as you go indicating an error you need to fix. VBulletin has no spell checker per se but instead relies on your browsers capabilities to do this.

Explorer for example uses iespell or something like that. Worst browser ever though. :hide

Stripped threads

A Heli-Coil will do the trick. (6x1.0) And it takes away less metal than the other insert. You'll have to cut off a couple of coils as there isn't a lot of depth to the threads. Stuff a greasy rag in there to capture the shavings. Although you can do the installation with the tranny in the bike, you might want to look at as a chance to do the input shaft spline lube.

Explorer for example uses iespell or something like that. Worst browser ever though. :hide

I didn't know this...I thought it was part of VBulletin. I have a spell check feature on my posts but it wants to download iespell when I click it...decided not to. Thanks...

Spell check is embedded in your browser nowadays.
If you are using Firefox click on Tools, Options, Advanced and in the Browsing box check the "Check my spelling as I type" option. Incorrect spelling will be underlined with a red squiggly line as you go indicating an error you need to fix. VBulletin has no spell checker per se but instead relies on your browsers capabilities to do this.

My Firefox already has the "Check my spelling as I type" checked. OK I just found out. When a squiggly line appears, I have to right click on it then choose the correct spelling from the list of words. I would have never figured it out.
Thanks guys!!

My Firefox already has the "Check my spelling as I type" checked. OK I just found out. When a squiggly line appears, I have to right click on it then choose the correct spelling from the list of words. I would have never figured it out.
Thanks guys!!

Pro Noblem! :laugh

I forgot about the right click thing. That kicks it up a notch.

A Heli-Coil will do the trick. (6x1.0) And it takes away less metal than the other insert. You'll have to cut off a couple of coils as there isn't a lot of depth to the threads. Stuff a greasy rag in there to capture the shavings. Although you can do the installation with the tranny in the bike, you might want to look at as a chance to do the input shaft spline lube.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. If it can't be done insitu then I'll pull it.

Ironically, I just had the gearbox rebuilt and installed it. Twice. I am getting good at it.

As far as spell check is concerned, the right click feature is extant on IE, Chrome, and the Brand X browser mentioned below.

Back