Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 90 R 100 GSPD suspension upgrade

good morning, here is plan revision #3 , I came up with it while riding my bicycle yesterday, and e-mailed it to Matt Wiley of Race Tech as soon as I got home. I want to purchase another right side ( rebound ) damping rod and check valve assembly , modify it per Race Tech's recommendations and install it in the left side, with a gold valve on top. Matt e-mailed me back yesterday and said this will work !!! he said they have done similar conversions, which I take to mean not a R 100 GS . anyway there you have it Matt says it will work great if I don't mind spending the dough ! so its off to the dealer to order up, they told me yesterday $169.25 for what I need. unfortunately the parts are coming from Germany so it will take 3 weeks to get them. so as near as I can tell I will have the first R 100 GS with compression and rebound damping in both forks, cool. all because my local shop told me " the kit comes with 2, of course you use them both " serendipity ! how about that? now all I have to do is figure out how to get the spring seat off the end of the damping rod ( per race tech's instructions ) , it looks like it is pressed on. I will e-mail Matt on Monday and ask his recommendation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 128521 View Post
    ..so as near as I can tell I will have the first R 100 GS with compression and rebound damping in both forks, cool.
    Not if I find time first... Which means you are probably correct. Although someone else may have done it; the idea has been on my website for a while now. But you might be the first to write about it. Remember you will have double the damping unless you drastically lighten the spring. I don't think loosening the adjuster will have the same effect.

I think the spring seat just pries off the top of the right damping rod.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

thank you, I got most of my information, and certainly the best, from your website. I will ask Matt Wiley's recommendation for adjustment when I put it together. since the GV came with 2 springs ( blue 40 lb/in, yellow 64 lb/in ) I thought I would start with the yellow at 1 turn preload (?) since that would seem to be just higher than the middle of your overall adjustment range. thanks again for the great info

I was too busy looking at the spring seat part , I didn't process the other part, at first. I sent Matt Wiley all my info GV kit, new race tech springs ( gave him the part # ), weight, riding style, expected terrain , new Ohlins in back, and anything else I might have thought of. he seemed to think everything I was doing would work well together, I will use his recommendations to set it up and let everyone know what happens. thanks

so here it is, right side modified and ready for re assembly. another right side damping rod and check valve on the way from Germany.

morning everyone, I am back with some great news! it is best summarized like this, WOW!!! so here is the final set up, 17 mm preload, on new Race Tech springs, 450 cc 10 wt fork fluid, new right side internal parts on the left side, a gold valve on both sides set to 2 turns of pre load ( yellow spring 64 pound/inch ). WOW!!! I went right out and filled the tank ( 9.25 gal us ), amazing ! then I went to my new tire road, it is a rutted gravel road that gains almost 2000 feet of elevation in about 3 miles. WOW!!! it was like butter ! this has totally transformed my bike, it is amazing. the WABDR southern end is 30 miles from my house, I guess I will be headed there soon, here are some pictures, see you in Salem
    Last edited by 128521; 04-12-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: add pictures
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS

That's great news.

Just to clarify: are you using the stock rebound valving on both sides, with extra holes in the bottom of each damper rod? And what are you using to seat the GV into the top of the rod?

I heard from someone else who is modifying his forks. The impression I got was that he drilled holes in the tapered damper rod and seemed to lose nearly all of his rebound damping. Maybe he will post here about it.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

good morning all, yes I am using the stock right side damping rod and valve assy in the left side also. I tried to attach some pictures yesterday that will make things more clear. I will try again today. the gold valve sits on top of a spacer provided by Race Tech. I followed Race Techs instructions for modification. when I assembled the forks you could feel the rebound working, you cant make the GV pop off ( by hand ) , but the rebound feels great.
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS

BTW, if anyone would like, I could e-mail pictures that you could see in greater detail. just send me a PM.

morning all, here is a brief update on my new setup. I have a little over 300 miles now, I am amazed at the difference in the handling. when I rolled off the centerstand before, it felt like a log being thrown in a lake, now it feels like a skateboard shooting off a rail, making a soft landing and rolling down the bowl! this setup might be a little stiff for some people, but for what I wanted I think I have hit a home run. I haven't done much gravel yet, but on the road this bike rivals the feeling I get on my R 1200 GS ( just not as quick ). in fact I am most impressed with how much faster my R 100 feels, I carry way more speed into the corners without even trying. well that is it for now, I have some more testing to do. see you down the road

Thanks for the pictures, now all I have to do is do it.
    1991 R100 GS "Bumble Bee"
    1981 R80G/S(wp4860 forks, Henderson triple clamp)
    2010 Husaberg FE450
    Past BMWs: '68 R50/2, '77 R80/7, '87 R80GSPD, '76 R60/6, '85 K100RS

you will be thrilled that you did !!

morning all, I rode my bike to Prineville OR yesterday, and went riding in the Maury mountains with a couple of locals. we went about 160 miles on every type of terrain I ride on. wide sweepers, tight twisties, smooth gravel, rutted washboard gravel, even a 3 mile run to a fire lookout, that road was the best, steep, rocky, rutted, even a little mud, I went up in 2nd gear between 3 and 4 thousand RPM, WOW!!!!! amazing, and the view at the top was pretty cool to. I think this is my final update, this has turned out better than I thought was possible, thanks for looking.