• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tinnitus anyone?

Well, at the age of 67 I've joined the tinnitus gang, just barely. A recent cold that ended with eustachian tube irritation also created a moderate case of tinnitus. Comes and goes and is instantly turned on by caffeine and too much salt. Doesn't disturb sleep or drive me nuts, yet..Might even go away- who knows..
Now I know I'm going to have to be more careful about ear protection on the bikes...

At least the 3x weekly dialysis will help keep any salt issues in check.
Now if I could just get going in the AM without coffee..

To the poster who was wondering how to fix a tinnitus problem caused by eustachian tube/ drainage issues- I know an answer but you may not like it. It is- take up scuba diving.
When I was young I lost an eardrum (torn 270 degrees around the periphery) to a 120 mph squash ball at point blank distance. It left scar tissue and probably some clots that blocked ear drainage and for years afterward I had pressure issues and periodic ear infections. Then I took up diving and eventually progressed to technical (deep) diving well beyond the depths of compressed air only. For some reason, probably the constant substantial pressure changes divers undergo, my ears cleared permanently and I have never had an ear infection or pressure problem since. ENTs are always dumbfounded when I tell them this story- they are accustomed to seeing divers with barotrauma caused by (IMO) simple lack of diving skill.

Classic hearing loss symptom, hearing loss in the range voices occur in. I finally got tired of missing so much of the conversations when in noisy places like restaurants that I went the hearing aid route....Very happy I did.

Best of luck with yours.

That was my symptom along with the tinnitus too. Then back in November I was fitted with a pair of Phonak behind the ear hearing aid/sound generators. The constant sound helps immensely with the tinnitus and the hearing aid part is amazing. Mine are pretty basic units and were well worth the cost. At the 2 month follow up visit they added the "playlist" feature and I now have a "normal" setting like I had along with a specific program for restaurant type situations. :thumb

Auditory Nerve Issues = Tinnitus

I got the analysis from the Doc at the Mass. Eye & Ear Infirmary two days ago. My tinnitus is not the result of all the FBI-related gunfire to which I was subject, it's due to some sort of deterioration/damage, or whatever to the auditory nerves in my right ear. My left is just fine. It seems I have to live with it, and a hearing aid for the diminished hearing in my right ear is not applicable due to the nerve situation. MRI of my head for diagnosis resulted in the good news: there's a brain in there (some have questioned that), but the bad news: no clue as to what caused all this. I continue to ride with full-foam earplugs, and wear two layers of protection (plugs & muffs) when shooting.

Long story short, hearing aids may not be of any help to some people. :dunno

PS- FWIW - I'm 69YOA now.

hearing aids, dudes! really

certainly yes to any kind of earplugs while riding, the quietest helmet you can find, and windscreen that works. protect what you've got.
BUT my ENT told me to get hearing aids! Partly because I had some hearing loss, and because by putting more of the sound of reality in your head via the hearing aids, one becomes less aware of the imaginary sound of the tinnitus. It's not immediate. But it does in fact happen that way. I have to think about the ringing to find it. I never wear them while I ride. the earplugs would make it difficult. In my case health insurance paid for 1/2 the initial cost. They're modern; chipped, and can be easily calibrated to enhance only the freq's you need. They're small. invisible unless you really look closely. Plus I can almost hear normally. Almost. At least my friends aren't ridiculing me anymore

It's bad enough to be an old fart, but worse to be a stupid old fart.

Your "judge analogy" ticks me off!:brow Whats the good to come from a public official making comments like that when it attacks a disabling condition? Many in our society would have us "pop a new ears pill"? as zero tolerance for others not hearing. When you view all the "accommodation stuff" (access,etc.) in our USA, when it comes to noise, there is more of a lean toward noise pollution than noise solution.
Might be a different & purposeful context if it's the teacher saying , "Johnny pay attention in class"! Otherwise it's plain old demeaning! In many ways(noise exposures I couldn't control) JUDGE-IT'S NOT OUR FAULT! Does the same judge make light of one legged folks that don't come to the bench fast enough? Off my box...:wave

Well. . . FWIW, he was a friend of mine, and he was known to lack appropriate judicial temperament :brow. He's a much nicer guy now that he is in private practice and has more time for golf.

Classic hearing loss symptom, hearing loss in the range voices occur in. I finally got tired of missing so much of the conversations when in noisy places like restaurants that I went the hearing aid route....Very happy I did.

Best of luck with yours.

I'm getting my hearing aids next week!

I belong to a group of riders that meet for breakfast every Saturday. I found that I simply could not follow a conversation with the normal restaurant background noise. It was very embarrassing, when someone spoke I could hear noise but I could not understand a thing. I had to stop going. If I'm in a quite room I can have a normal conversation. I can hear my cell phone when it chimes (when I get an email) before my wife who has great hearing. My tinnitus and hearing loss happened at the same time.

Update...

My tinnitus spike turned out to be just that..a temporary spike. Thank goodness! Now back to "normal" levels with a bit of aspirin/Tylenol and hot compresses. not looking forward to one more dental appointment for the crown installation...

Sort of educational reading this thread and a whole big bunch of web info on the malady. My struggles with this are really minor compared to so many others. Been pretty careful with ear protection for many years, but exposure to sirens, pumper engines, chainsaws, etc, etc, in my early days probably didn't help. LOL

As far as a motorcycle connection...always hated the loud pipes stuff. Worn full face, quality helmets for a few decades, and most of the time with ear plugs, particularly for any sort of distance rides.

If I can affix blame to anyone, it's probably the guy next to me at the range years ago. Shooting hot loads from a 44 Mag. My 357 was sorta like a 22 next to him...LOL

Take care all!

Too be clear: a .22 will do it to your hearing quite well, doesn't take Dirty Harry standing nearby... same for most any noise source-limit your exposure is what matters.

certainly yes to any kind of earplugs while riding, the quietest helmet you can find, and windscreen that works. protect what you've got.
BUT my ENT told me to get hearing aids! Partly because I had some hearing loss, and because by putting more of the sound of reality in your head via the hearing aids, one becomes less aware of the imaginary sound of the tinnitus. It's not immediate. But it does in fact happen that way. I have to think about the ringing to find it. I never wear them while I ride. the earplugs would make it difficult. In my case health insurance paid for 1/2 the initial cost. They're modern; chipped, and can be easily calibrated to enhance only the freq's you need. They're small. invisible unless you really look closely. Plus I can almost hear normally. Almost. At least my friends aren't ridiculing me anymore

It's bad enough to be an old fart, but worse to be a stupid old fart.

Pretty similar to me. Although both the audiologist and the ENT made it clear that the sound of tinnitus IS NOT imaginary but that your brain can be trained to ignore it to a degree. The analogy they give is the hum of a refrigerator. "You don't normally hear it, but now you do because I made you think of it." You are very right about the hearing aids too. Mine are also quite small and barely noticeable while being invaluable. The "chip" also allows them to be forward upgradeable. The programming they do in the office is quite amazing. The little devices can tell the audiologist how long they've been on and how much you play with the volume! Because my issue was mostly tinnitus along with some hearing loss, mine make a low white noise all the time to help with the tinnitus. Sometime in the future (like the next 12-18 months) they hope to turn off the white noise (or lower it significantly) and use the hearing aid part alone.

Too be clear: a .22 will do it to your hearing quite well, doesn't take Dirty Harry standing nearby... same for most any noise source-limit your exposure is what matters.

True that! A lot of .22 shooting (12 gauges too) as a youth with no ear protection. That dude with the 44 was too loud even WITH ear protection. Always tried take a position at the far end of line when he was at the range...:nono

right!

Although both the audiologist and the ENT made it clear that the sound of tinnitus IS NOT imaginary but that your brain can be trained to ignore it to a degree.

"imaginary" is probably the wrong word, but the point is no one else can "hear" your tinnitus, and you can, as you say, train your brain to be less aware of it. Most days I have to think about it to become aware of it. For example, just opening this thread at 1:19 pm. I've been up since about 6:00 am and this is the first time today that I've noticed it. thanx, Dr. Moore. and Air Resound hearing aids, I believe is the brand name.

Yeah, the magnum revolvers certainly didn't help mine. Had both a 357 and 44, and yes that 44 had everyone on the line flinching :). I remember once we were shooting in a gully outside Black hawk and when I back after a break I forgot to put my muffs back on. Let one loose and the ringing was instant. Made me wonder how law enforcement deals with it when they have to use their service revolver. Of course many are semi auto now with lower pressures.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Although both the audiologist and the ENT made it clear that the sound of tinnitus IS NOT imaginary but that your brain can be trained to ignore it to a degree.

"imaginary" is probably the wrong word, but the point is no one else can "hear" your tinnitus, and you can, as you say, train your brain to be less aware of it. Most days I have to think about it to become aware of it. For example, just opening this thread at 1:19 pm. I've been up since about 6:00 am and this is the first time today that I've noticed it. thanx, Dr. Moore. and Air Resound hearing aids, I believe is the brand name.

EXACTLY! Mine got the point that I couldn't ignore it and always heard it. The funny part was that it really wasn't keeping me awake at night and they expected to me to say yes. My magic is provided by Phonak. I think my insurance gets a big discount from Phonak because they told me that they did not cover hearing aids (unless as result of injury or a short list of other things) but yet my cost was roughly half of what I could find anywhere else. Factor in the free follow up visits and they were a deal.

Yeah, the magnum revolvers certainly didn't help mine. Had both a 357 and 44, and yes that 44 had everyone on the line flinching :). I remember once we were shooting in a gully outside Black hawk and when I back after a break I forgot to put my muffs back on. Let one loose and the ringing was instant. Made me wonder how law enforcement deals with it when they have to use their service revolver. Of course many are semi auto now with lower pressures.

Really don't want to start a gun thread...but never could figure out a 'good' reason to carry a 44 as a duty weapon. My qualification scores were always better with a puny 357 then my friend and his 44. Enough said! :brow

I wonder if he has any hearing left?

Take care! :D

EXACTLY! Mine got the point that I couldn't ignore it and always heard it. The funny part was that it really wasn't keeping me awake at night and they expected to me to say yes. My magic is provided by Phonak. I think my insurance gets a big discount from Phonak because they told me that they did not cover hearing aids (unless as result of injury or a short list of other things) but yet my cost was roughly half of what I could find anywhere else. Factor in the free follow up visits and they were a deal.

+1 on the Phonak's. The adjust-ability is great!

FWIW: r.e., "made me wonder"comment above- Law enforcement(unprotected) noise exposure is typically nothing remotely close to the military-in combat! Cops don't go out(thankfully for them) & shoot at the bad guys in unprotected mode much of the time.

Some time ago I was talking to a friend who is a retired logger - specifically, a tree faller - and the conversation turned to our respective hearing loss and the probable reasons for it. (Don't remember a discussion of tinnitus.) In his earlier years as a faller, not only was hearing protection unheard of, he PUNCHED HOLES IN THE MUFFLER to get more power from the chainsaws of the day. Any of you have run reasonably modern chainsaws know how loud THEY are. You would think one day of running such a saw would cause complete deafness - and he did it for several years - before saws improved and hearing protection came along. That guy hears at least as well as I - no hearing aids.

Guess he is kind of like the person who smokes two packs a day since he was 13 and dies in a car crash at 92. It happens. Not a good idea to bet your hearing - if you have some left - that you too will beat the odds. And unlike cigarettes, I don't find noise in any form an addictive pleasure. Of course, I don't ride a Harley with open pipes. Different strokes...

Must ask him about tinnitus. Seems to almost always accompany noise-related hearing loss.

Back