• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need help choosing tires for '02 1150rs

• Thread starter rfisher56@dslextreme.com
  • Start date
R

rfisher56@dslextreme.com

Hi guys...need to replace my Mich. Pilots on my 02 1150rs which were just about done when I got the bike 3k ago. Should I go with updated set of those or try something different? Mostly highway commutes with an occasional trip thru the twisties. Also was wondering the best route to take as far as where to buy? Dealer or online. I realize will be paying premium for dealer but seems might be too much work to try and mount myself to save a hundred or what ever?

If you don't mind spending the cash by all means go to a dealer and tell them you want a set of Michelin PR3 tires put on. They will be happy to take your dough and probably do a great job.

I'm a budget rider :p so I order my tires online typically from SWMoto http://www.swmototires.com/ in AZ who ship them anywhere in the US for free. There is plenty of competition in the tire business but I happen to like these guys. They have sales all the time.

I live near the border and there is a handy parcel service joint 500 yards down the road after the border crossing who receives them for me. Great selection and prices. Right now a set of P3s for my RT would run about $320 shipped. I still use the Michelin P2 (bit cheaper than the newer P3) or Avon Storm or Metzeler Z8 RoadTecs. All great tires for sport touring bikes.

Then I take my wheel(s) off (no room for tire changing in my shed) and go to any reputable bike shop where they mount and balance for about 20 bucks a wheel. Job done and saves me over $150 off dealer prices for tires and labour.

+1 to what the Wanderer said. I've done it this way for 30+ years. Or most of the time I break out the tire irons, bead breaker, rubber mallet and liquid soap and do it myself. I changed the tires on my RD racebike this weekend (first race is Saturday....Yeehaw!).

Like everything else in the world, when you do it yourself you know it was done the way you want it.

Thanks guys...will go with the pilots and I would like to try mounting them myself but I remember trying to do it once with my airhead and ended going to a shop. Mostly afraid of scratching up the rims.

Thanks guys...will go with the pilots and I would like to try mounting them myself but I remember trying to do it once with my airhead and ended going to a shop. Mostly afraid of scratching up the rims.

No need to be afraid of scratchig the rims. You'll definitely scratch them eventually if you do it yourself. OTOH it's an 11 year old bike and you'll save thousands of dollars over the life of the bike. I can live with a few scratches.

The Michelan PR3's are definitly the way to go........I ride two up most of the time and managed to get 22 thousand miles on the front tire (and there was still plenty of tread left ) and got just over 15 thousand miles on the rear. I changed out the front tire a few weeks ago mainly because I didn't want to push it any further and since the Michelans were 40% off I also purchased the rear tire, although it's not mounted as yet. Still have plenty of meat on the Dunlop which is on there now.
The local bike shop by me has a special on tires till the end of February.......factory incentives perhaps?........Michelans and some other brands as well.......off season is a good time to buy.

Back