• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

iphone bars mount

keppelj

Seems like we sent over this recently, but I can't find the thread. I'm looking for a handle bar mount for iPhone, vibration damped, secure, etc. Recommendations?

I use a RAM finger mount. I used my 3GS in the same mount for years and 10s of thousands of miles and never had any vibe related issues. My iPhone 5 rides ithe same carrier.

It should be noted that both of them were also in Otterbox Defender cases.

I put my iphone in a Lifeproof waterproof case, and found a mount with a RAM ball on ebay for the Lifeproof case.

Downs, the Otterbox doesn't seem to be waterproof. Issues there? And is there an obvious connection to the ram for the the Otterbox Defender for instance? John1691, any special vibe damping to your setup? Just fingers around the LP case?

Last edited:
Downs, answered the second question above for myself (!) but how about wetness and the Otter? Lifeproof includes waterproofness.

The Otterbox is water resistant but there are three areas open to the elements.

1)Camera cutout

2)cutout for the ear speaker

3) cutout for the mic and speaker on the bottom.

The Lifeproof case is more protective for sure. I bought my Otterbox prior to Lifeproof having case. If the lifeproof case would have been out by then I would have got that. The lifeproof case is waterproof down to 6 feet or something like that so riding in the rain shouldn't be a problem for it.

I bought a Lifeproof case for my iPhone 4, but I don't see how it is waterproof. It may be water resistant because the speaker area at the bottom is open as well as slits for the ear speaker. It does have a nice screw in plug for the ear buds.

I bought a Lifeproof case for my iPhone 4, but I don't see how it is waterproof. It may be water resistant because the speaker area at the bottom is open as well as slits for the ear speaker. It does have a nice screw in plug for the ear buds.

The sales guy dropped his in a clear bucket of water and submerged it long enough for his colleage to call him. We could hear it ringing under water. Claims to be good for 6 feet, as well as shock resistant from a drop of 6'. The rubber mount of the RAM mount provides some additional shock/bump resistance, so no, I did not add anything else. I ride a GT, so it is pretty smooth..... :nyah

This is what I just bought...

1 - RAM-HOL-AQ7-2CU - RAM Sealed Enclosure AQUA BOX?« Pro 20 LARGE CASE WITH LANYARD, BUTTON, BELT CLIP & CRADLE
1 - RAM-B-103-238U - RAM 1" Diameter Ball Double Socket Arm with Diamond Base. Overall Length: 4.31"
1 - RAM-B-367U - RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screws
1 - RAM-KNOB3LU - RAM Locking Knob with 1/4"-20 Brass Hole for B Size Arms

So far so good. The Aqua Box front cover is rubber, flexible and replaceable. Currently there is no way to charge but I will make a tiny hole in the rubber cover large enough for the lightening connector in the bottom. I don't have any concern with water penetration using this setup.

Scot

The Aquaboxes have a cutout in the rear where the ram ball attaches that allows you to pass charging wires though without compromising the waterproofness of the box too much. I used to run my blackberry in a aquabox but when I went to an iPhone I moved away from it cause you can't operate the phone's touch screen though it.

The Lifeproof case seems to be pretty waterproof. If you look at the openings for the speakers, earphone, microphone and ringer, there is material of some sort kind of like Goretex or something that block liquid but sound can easily pass through. Before I put my phone in, I submerged the case in a sink full of water for a couple of hours held down with a weight. Upon opening, there wasn't a trace of water inside. This is part of the recommended installation procedure probably to convince you that it is waterproof.

The speaker area etc it a gortex type material and waterproof

Rain?

Im not in rain all that much to need a waterproof phone box! And, you cannot use it anyways in rain, cannot read it while riding? I have the Ram mounted, spring loaded IPhone holder and its perfect, no issues. Rain? I just put the phone in my jacket pocket if it gets damp out, safe:). Even if its dry out, my IPHone is useless while riding, except BlueTooth in helmet. Voice recognition stinks, useless too for the most part. Typing on that phone and riding don't mix for me. Must stop. Randy

what head set are you using? My voice recognition works perfectly as long as you talk slowly and deliberately. Just like when it's not on a bluetooth connection.

I haven't gotten to the headset part and really don't know about it. Apple has a bluetooth earbud/receiver, but it may be a bit of a headache for all the support links posted around its image on their website and it wouldn't fit under a helmet. Hearing gps advisories, tunes etc are all that matter. Don't need the mike. Ram fingers mount and LP case have arrived.

Last edited:
Back