• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Exhaust Pipe Heat Tape

bobr9

99 R1100RT

Looking for input on the use of exhaust pipe heat tape to shield the fairing parts from excessive heat. Does it result in accelerated degradation of the pipes due to trapped moisture, etc., or is it generally considered to be a prudent thing to do? Thanks.

I don't really know but if the heat stays in the pipes I guess that would mean the catalytic converter and O2 sensor would be hotter.

On my rt I don't think I've got any heat problem as long as I don't let it sit, idling.

Are you seeing the effect of heat on the fairing parts due to congested traffic riding in Georgia. Because other than stationary warmup of the engine (not needed, ever) or of the bike is moving slowly in congested traffic and high temps, there should no heat issues on the body parts if the bike is kept moving.

Are you seeing the effect of heat on the fairing parts due to congested traffic riding in Georgia.

Actually, not sure as I bought the bike a year ago from a guy in the Chicago area, and the fairing damage was already there. I typically do not see much stop and go type driving, so maybe I will be all right going forward.

I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that your visible damage was done by the previous owner idling the bike to warm it.

Ken

That's my guess. There are still riders out there who feel they have to "warm up" the bike before it's ready to ride.

That may have been the case on a 78 Honda CB750, or a mid-80's KZ-whatever, but not the case with any oilhead or later motor from BMW. I never even start my bike until I am sitting on it ready to ride, in temps from 17 degrees to 102 degrees. I start it, bring up the side stand, click it into gear, if no warning lights are on, go. Within a half mile I click off the cold-start lever and all has been good this way for the last 19 years with my RS.

Some years ago, I had two MSF students ask of they could start their personal bikes to warm them up before lunch. I said, "we still have a 15 minute exercise coming up, and doing that just harms the engine." They felt it had to be done so they started them and I ran the exercise, keeping an eye on the bikes. Not smart and not needed.

There are a host of heat reflective adhesive tape products out there. http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/heat-tape

I have some similar stuff on my RT oilpan tupperware where some slight brown blisters were appearing on the inside. Nipped it in the bud and no further problems. This is an easy preventative measure if you are concerned about heat damage going forward but as stated previously a moving oilhead normally will not blister.

Back