• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'12 R1200RT - Anyone temporarily mount the portable Gerbings dual controller?

bikerpaul

I'm thinking about mounting my portable dual controller with velcro somewhere that the lights would be visible and I'm curious what others have done. I've contemplated getting the non-portable dual controller and drilling somewhere but I'd rather not go that route.

Mounting on BMR Products shelf

One of the issues I had with the controller early on was the need to find the controller hanging somewhere below my jacket while I was riding. This would cause me to momentarily look down to find it and adjust the knob.
My solution was to permanently mount the controller knob under the left side of my BMR Products shelf and secure the female jack with a plastic clip along side the tank. I used a white marker and made a line on the knob along with little dots to help me visually adjust the temperature. It's pretty cool to simply turn a knob facing you and visually see how far you want to turn it. Very pleased with this set up. Kind of like making the music louder on a car radio.

Attachments

• switch set up.jpg
    switch set up.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 347
Cable clipped along left side of tank

I used an extension to easily reach my jacket and mounted it bundled with a clip my dealer had. When I need to use my heated jacket I un-clip the cable from the holder and connect to my jacket.
All this allows me to adjust temperature on the dash without my eyes leaving the road.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 341
Done! I never even thought about a wireless option. Do you have experience with it?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Here are some pictures:

DSC_0027-1_zps57bb27a4.jpg

DSC_0014-1_zps7d511944.jpg

DSC_0016-1_zpsdba059ff.jpg

Last edited:
Mounting Gerbing Controllers on 1200RT...where the knobs??

I'm new to the RT and want to add controllers for my Gerbing heated jacket/gloves. I have a Portable Dual controller but am also willing to buy permanent controllers if that's a better solution. Also open to buying other manufacturers controllers.

I am quite comfortable doing the installation/electrical work...mostly interested in where/how you mounted the control knobs themselves.

How did you do yours? If you have pictures, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Bob

32232 Nice job

32232, nice job on the switch shelf. Your mounting solves the problem of seeing the light cycle on and off. I ordered a shelf today.

Here are some pictures:

DSC_0016-1_zpsdba059ff.jpg

What GPS mount system is that? I have a Garmin 60 CSx like that and was going to use a RAM mount off a ball replacing one of the handlebar mount screws. Would rather have it higher like yours though, looks great!

What GPS mount system is that? I have a Garmin 60 CSx like that and was going to use a RAM mount off a ball replacing one of the handlebar mount screws. Would rather have it higher like yours though, looks great!

Randy,

You can see I have the Ram mount ball on the handlebars as well. That was how I started out, but the GPS was lower than I liked. Now I use it with a long Ram arm to position a video camera looking over the dash.

The upper GPS mount is the Touratech item. It's very solid and puts the GPS right up in line of sight. I'm very happy with it.

On another note, I want to report the wireless controller works great. Where it's mounted it clears the BMW tank bag with no problem.

I got a Powerlet electric jacket liner at a bike show in February and this weekend was the first time I had a chance to try it out. Powerlet makes a lot of claims how their carbon fibre heating elements provide instant infrared heat, fast warmup, blah, blah blah. Well, I have to say it is quite spectacular. I started the bike as I was standing beside it, plugged in, and by the time I had put my gloves on and swung my leg over the saddle, I could feel the heat.

Saturday the temperature was just above freezing. I had on a long sleeve T-shirt, the Powerlet liner and a BMW Tourance 2 without the quilted liner. I was running the Powerlet liner at about 40% heat and was toasty warm. The infrared heat thing warms you right through, like laying out in the summer sun. Sunday it was warm enough I didn't need the liner turned on but the temperature dropped off as I got near Lake Erie. Turned the liner on to about 25% and was comfy again.

There have been some other threads about whether the RT accessory sockets will run a jacket liner without shutting down. The Powerlet liner is 105W on max and the setup worked with no problems. About 2010? BMW upped the power on the sockets from 5A to 10A, so I didn't have to use the supplied cord for running straight from the battery. Easy peasy.

Randy,

You can see I have the Ram mount ball on the handlebars as well. That was how I started out, but the GPS was lower than I liked. Now I use it with a long Ram arm to position a video camera looking over the dash.

The upper GPS mount is the Touratech item. It's very solid and puts the GPS right up in line of sight. I'm very happy with it.
Aha, I hadn't spotted the ball originally, same place I have mine. Regarding your new Touratech mount, is THIS the item? I really like your installation!

Back