• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

One left over bolt

BRUCETONER

Bruce Toner
I recently did a clutch and slave cylinder replacement on a 2002 R1150RT. I read as much as I could beforehand on what could be the issues with my slipping clutch. As it turned out the transmission seal right next to the slave cylinder was letting tranny oil into the cavity next to the slave cylinder. Oncce the cavity approached half full the oil runs out along the pushrod and saturates the clutch. Common problem as I understand it. All went fairly well and I am almost completely assembled except for the plastic. I was disapointed to find that I have one M8 x 55mm long socket head cap screw that I do not have a home for. Hinde sight is 2020 I know.... I should have separated and bagged all of the fasteners on a per component basis and this would not have happened.

Does any body know where I might find a clue to the where this bold might go? I have been over every inch of the bike and have not found it yet.

Cheers!

Bruce

Sorry to hear that. You wont sleep until you find out where it goes, as you should.

You should not at all be concerned about any extra parts left over.
I learned this in Mexico long ago.
The bike runs, doesn't it?
They put all kinds of extra parts on a car or bike.
For instance, 5 wheel bolts. Why, when 3 will do.
You should also be concerned about other sources, as well.
You know, your wife could have gone down to the dealer and got one extra bolt or other part to throw out there. Sort of to be certain you had enough to put it back together. You know, she was helping you, in a way.
Don't lose any sleep.
dc

In our shop we have the opposite problem. The shop is haunted by a spook we call "Sam" and he must be part pack rat as on any job we always wind up short a few critical pieces.

Congrats you just learned something new about wrenching on your own bike. If you put it back together and it runs, yet you have a few extra fastners you just made the bike lighter and more efficient. :lurk:drink

I have to say I was chuckling reading the above posts. Lighter... yes, did I by mistakingly leave out one of those unnecessary fasteners... perhaps. But as PAS says... I will not sleep until I find where it is missing from.

I was hoping somebody would say oh here is a site that lists every fastener in the entire bike and where they go. Hmmm, something to think about the next time I do a major teardown... maybe I'll create that list. Might be soon than later, I will not stop until I find out where that dam bolt goes.

Cheers!

Sleepless Bruce

Hi Bruce, I had sent you a Private Message about a couple of things- one was a Welcome to the forum! and another was the suggestion of going to the MAX BMW site and looking through the "exploded views" of the parts diagrams for your bike. Good luck. Gary

Hi Bruce:

M8 is the size that fastens the transmission to the engine, I think there are 6 and the 2 middle ones are about 55mm long.
You should be able to see them without too much trouble.

Just a guess but let the record show I tried to help, not like some of these other guys. :D

Hey Gary thanks I will try that. I have been looking through the service manual I have but they don't do a very good job of showing all of the fasteners in the exploded views. Mike... thank you as well. That is the first place I looked. I definately installed all six in the transmission and torqued them. I am actually considering buying a scope camera to help me look into all of the little places I can see easily into.

The one thing that is worth noting is the bolt is very clean which leads me think it is not close to engine and tranny location. Looked about as clean as the protected bolt used to hold the rear of the gas tank down. I am wondering if it is from the front somewhere?

Keep the suggestions coming... now that the humour has subsided (which I did appreciate and get a chuckle from) the suggestions are awsome and appreciated.

Cheers!

Bruce

extra bolt

I think Omega Man has the right idea--you can also go to Bob's BMW site and go to the microfiche section and find your bike--they give all the parts for for whatever you may have removed/reinstalled as well as the sizes of all fasteners--this kind of stuff drives me nuts too!!!
Tony
by the way, I checked the microfiche and found that size bolt holding the transmission onto engine--you can take a look at microfiche #23_0869
(couldn't find it anywhere else)

Last edited:
I, too, occasionally have a leftover something and need to find where it goes. Little screws are one category that I probably don't stress a lot about. But an M8 bolt is a significant fastener that I would hate to leave out just because. So joking aside - I suspect it is a transmission mounting bolt. Or a starter bolt.

If the bolt size is really M8x55 it has to be one of the transmission mounting bolts. There are 4 of them x55 and 2 of them x75.
Most likely one of the 2 at the very top of the trans, hard to see.

Otherwise I would have guessed one of the frame bolts from the rear hinged frame that you have to raise to remove the trans. It's easy to miss one, especially near the hinge bolt itself. But none of the frame bolts seem to match your size exactly.

Well... thanks everyone for putting in the effort. MotorradMike first suggest top transmission bolts. I knew I had six in there and torqued correctly. One of the issues with a repair like this stretching over and three week period (waiting for parts) and a couple of late nights is I tend to forget what I have done. The bolt in question had gone missing for a short time while the transmission was being install to the engine. I have a great selection of high grade bolts at home and I replaced it... later found the missing bolt and forgot what I had done. Upon re-checking this morning with a mirror and flashlight I noticed one of the top two bolts was a black oxide colour not silver like the rest. Then it hit me... I remembered what I had done.

I can't believe how may of you guys were right on the money with where it was!

Many thanks!

Cheers!

Bruce

I bet yer gonna pull the black one out and put in the original now arentcha? :p

Just sayin because I would.. stuff like that drives me nuts for no good reason whatsoever.

I bet yer gonna pull the black one out and put in the original now arentcha? :p

Just sayin because I would.. stuff like that drives me nuts for no good reason whatsoever.

You know it! Will probably use an early clutch spline lube as an excuse to go in and gitit!

Cheers!

Bruce:ca

So your at the point in life where your short term memory is long gone. Your in the right spot, this place is crawling with people of that age. :gerg

:hide

Back