• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

BMW Integral ABS Systems Flushing and Bleeding 101

B

bmwbenr

this procedure from the internet on how to change your brake fluid. Has anyone tried it and does it work?I own a 2005 R1200gs ABS servo assist.
Is there any advantage to using synthetic dot4 brake fluid?

The procedure isn't difficult, just time consuming and requiring a few "special" tools, i.e. the funnel for the ABS unit when bleeding the wheel circuits and a wrench that will fit the bleed valve when bleeding the control circuit at the ABS unit. I found that most any offset brake wrench of the appropriate size will work, especially if you disconnect the ABS wiring connector, first.

When bleeding the wheel circuits no pumping is needed. The servo motor does the pumping for you. The more you squeeze the brake lever the faster the fluid comes out -- so don't squeeze too hard. My arms are long enough that I can do the job by myself. Instead of using speed bleeders I use a motion pro one way valve in the bleed line. Without one of those I might need some help, especially bleeding the left front caliper.

My last flush: http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/2012/0730-service/page2.html
The flush before that: http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/2011/0122-service/page2.html

this procedure from the internet on how to change your brake fluid. Has anyone tried it and does it work?I own a 2005 R1200gs ABS servo assist.
Is there any advantage to using synthetic dot4 brake fluid?
If you define synthetic as man made then all brake fluid is synthetic. It is a blend of polypropylene glycol, and additives. The synthetic label is pure marketing hype.

Rod

I use Jim Von Baden's most excellent $25 DVD on conducting a full service, including the servo brakes. It's worth the money.

But I think the procedure here is pretty much the same. I have a 2005 and I've done it at least 3 times. Piece of cake. Though, much more work than regular brakes, but still not "hard" to do.

I have a 2007 R1200 GSA and need to flush the ABS. According to the owners manual, I have a partially integral ABS. My Haynes manual recommends the ABS service be performed by an authorized dealer?

Is there a very detailed set of instructions you can recommend? Any special tools required?

Thanks,

2007 bikes use iABS II. Version 2 doesn't have the reservoirs-in-the-abs-unit nor separate control and wheel circuits. I believe you flush it as you would any other hydraulic brake system. Tools would be appropriate wrenches and optional speed bleeders or other one way valves.

Haynes manuals used to be excellent. I have a 25 year old one that is great, even showing you how to custom fabricate your own special tools.

Now, Haynes should be called, "Take it to the dealer!" I can't believe how worthless my Haynes is for anything short of torque values. I think they have some fear of telling you anything that you might sue them for. That Haynes manual is crap.

So, maybe the BMW factory manual? Nope, it tells you how to bleed brakes using the special BMW computer.

Thank goodness for guys like Jim Von Baden! That's why I push his DVD. He's EARNED that $25. And to you guys here on the forum for the write ups. Very good stuff.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I too have purchased a couple of DVDs from JVB Productions! I would agree, Jim's earned the $45 and I can't wait to receive the DVDs!!

I used to have a '94 R1100 RS and had a Clymer Manual to support my maintenance work. I sure do miss that manual!!!

Thanks to all for the great advice, it's truly appreciated.

Regards,

Andy

Back