• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K75 Reynolds hitch

cape30dory

I have a 1994 K75RT and just recently acquired a Reynolds trailer hitch for it. Does anyone have installation instructions for the hitch?
I need to know specifically how it mounts and also how to hook up the wiring. Is there some sort of adapter to hook up the electrical connection to a USA spec trailer?
Any help is appreciated!

I may have the installation instructions for a K100LT. They are probably similar if not the same. I will look for it tomorrow. As far as the wiring goes, you can go to your local autoparts store and get what you need. What you need is a four wire to three wire converter. The bike has the following four wires (not including ground).

1. Left turn
2. Right turn
3. Brake light
4. Running lights

Your trailer probably has the following.

1. Left turn/brake
2. Right turn/brake
3. Running lights

I ordered my converter online. I can look up the part number if you want me to.

If It has original wireing, It has a set of minirelays in the tube. It would be a wonder It they were still there and if they still worked. Original would have a 5 pin out plug That assumed your trailer had seperate turn signals from the brake light. There would then be 5 wires in plus a 12 volt input to power the relays. My advice would be to tear it all out and build your own wiring to fit your trailer. Harold In Kansas

I had forgotten about the mini-relays inside of the tube. I bought my hitch new way back in 91. It came with the mini-relays inside a piece of pvc pipe that was then inserted inside of the trailer hitch. It wasn't too long after I bought the hitch that the mini-relays failed. I suspect that the vibration from the four cylinder K100LT was the primary cause. I contacted Reynolds about this and was sent a redesigned board that eliminated the mini-relays and replaced them with solid state components. That worked for a while but also failed. I eventually just replaced it with a automotive powered trailer light converter.

I found the following instructions for a Reynolds R-740 trailer hitch to be mounted on a K100.

Scan0001.jpgScan0002.jpgScan0003.jpg

Thank you!

Thanks for posting these instructions for the Reynolds 740 Hitch. Definitely saved my installation as I just could not quite see the arrangement of all the pieces.
Spencer

Thanks - and additional questions ...

I would like to add my thanks also - I have been searching (un-successfully) for a hitch for my K75s and come to some conclusions :

1. I'm not the only one looking for a hitch (yet another testimony to both the appeal and longevity of the K bikes!)

2. The only option I could find (here in north America at least) was beyond my budget ($425 US + taxes/shipping etc)

3. The Reynolds R-740 keeps coming up in searches and seems to have been a great hitch - I particularly like the "single-sided" design as I have read this allows for removal of the rear-wheel without removing the hitch - something we all need to do regularly for spline lube etc

So,

Unless my search comes up with a used option (please contact me if you have one) I'm thinking I may have to fabricate one from this information and/or measurements taken from the bike. In addition to the above info (thanks again) I found a link to a 1985 brochure which shows the hitch fitted to the RHS foot-peg plate and makes reference to the 3 other mounting points.

Does anyone have any drawings of the actual hitch (and associated mounting hardware) which might add to this info?

Any other experience / information on the Reynolds hitch would also be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gio

I would like to add my thanks also - I have been searching (un-successfully) for a hitch for my K75s and come to some conclusions :

Unless my search comes up with a used option (please contact me if you have one) I'm thinking I may have to fabricate one from this information and/or measurements taken from the bike. In addition to the above info (thanks again) I found a link to a 1985 brochure which shows the hitch fitted to the RHS foot-peg plate and makes reference to the 3 other mounting points.

Does anyone have any drawings of the actual hitch (and associated mounting hardware) which might add to this info?

Any other experience / information on the Reynolds hitch would also be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gio

After reading your post, I went to the garage and took this photo. Is this a Reynolds Hitch, that Harold in Kansas sold me a three years ago? If so, I might be able to answer some of your questions.K Bike Hitch.jpg

I think it may well be ... put me in touch with Harold from Kansas ..!

Seriously Paul - if you could post up some pics of the mounting points that would be very much appreciated.

What kind of hitching system is that - I don't see a ball so presumably the pin type?

Gio

Last edited:
Back