• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where Can I get Tires changed??

S

slo-joe

I did a quick search and didn't see anything posted on tire changing sorry if I missed it.

Here's my dilemma I have about a thousand miles left on my rear soft compound tire and need to change it when I get to the rally.(3500mi Sportec's) Is there an address i can have tires UPS Drop shipped to and who will be the vendor changing tires so I can talk to them in advance.

TIA............Joe

Tire Changing

There will be a couple of tire vendors at the Rally selling and changing tires.

You can ship stuff to the Rally at:

Charleston Civic Center
BMW Rally, (Your Name)
200 Civic Center Drive
Charleston, WV 25301

Make sure you ship your tire irons as well as the tire as the vendors might be pretty busy mounting their own tires to make time to mount tires you had shipped in to yourself. You could always take your own tires to a local motorcycle shop in Charleston and try to have them mount them for you.

Or you could put new tires on before you leave and save the old tires to put on when you get back home from the Rally.

Tires

I, too, have a similar dilemma, but a different question.

Is there a way to contact the tire vendors to order a tire ahead to make sure they have my weird-size and hard-to-find tire there when I arrive? I don't think there is time for me to get one to my house before I leave for the rally so I can do it myself. Thanks!

tires

Why not check out the list of vendors on the rally website, and contact one of the tire vendors?

Josh

Tires

Been there, done that. Easier said than done.

I could get no useful information. The sites I found were the corporate sites. The BMW National rally was not on their events calendars. If this information is available somewhere on those sites, it sure is not very easily obtained. Maybe some of their PR people or BMW rally people would want to look into better advertising.

What a concept . . .advance ordering of tires to be installed AT the rally.

I never leave on vacation with a tire I know is going to need to be replaced.

Getting that last $20 out of a tire isn't worth the aggravation, to me at least, of trying to hunt down a tire while I'm supposed to be out having fun.

Tire changing

I agree, I just had a new rear tire mounted at my local shop. Most likely, 1.5 K remaining on it, but the round trip will be around 2 K. I couldn't bother trying to find a tire changer along the way or at the rally. I want to spend my time riding and visiting the beer tent ( at the end of the day). I tried the tire change at Trenton last year, spent all sorts of time waiting in line, waiting for the tire to be changed, etc. It wasted a good part of a day.

Now if I could order the tire from a vendor and arrange for a time to have it changed during the rally, if I could arrange all that before the rally, then they would have my business. Any vendors out there listening?:dunno

Re: Tires

F650 Shortster said:
I, too, have a similar dilemma, but a different question.

Is there a way to contact the tire vendors to order a tire ahead to make sure they have my weird-size and hard-to-find tire there when I arrive? I don't think there is time for me to get one to my house before I leave for the rally so I can do it myself. Thanks!

Hey there F650 Shortster, which F do you have - I assume you need a tire for a F650 by your name? I would also assume you need a rear for a 17" rim. I am 2 hours from the rally and I have a few very slightly used tires at the house I could bring up for you if you can't find suitable replacements otherwise. I also have a 21" and 19" front. Send me a PM if interested, maybe we can work something out. BTW, I have a DOT legal knobby(very dirt oriented) and a 80%street rear. The 21" front is a DOT knobby, the 19" front is the matching 80% street tire.

KBasa wrote: I never leave on vacation with a tire I know is going to need to be replaced.

Getting that last $20 out of a tire isn't worth the aggravation, to me at least, of trying to hunt down a tire while I'm supposed to be out having fun.

------------------------------

I totally agree!! BUT . . . the problem is . . . I have been out having fun and wearing down the tire and have not had much time or luck in finding one. I was hoping to have better luck at the rally. They usually have a large supply.

------------------------------

GS Cooke Mnster wrote I tried the tire change at Trenton last year, spent all sorts of time waiting in line, waiting for the tire to be changed, etc. It wasted a good part of a day.

Sorry to hear that. I got tires changed at the York rally and the Morganton rally and both times were a very positive experience. It sure saved me a lot of aggravation and I saved money too (I already had shopped and knew the prices and planned for the change at the rally.) That was when I had a common tire size and didn't have to worry about ordering ahead.

-----------------------------

To garanett: I have an ST, so the knobbies wouldn't be useful to me. Maybe somebody out there will be interested. If I haven't made other arrangements before July 4th weekend, I may be contacting you for those slightly used tires. Thanks for the offer!

Yeah normally I would change tires before the trip but why flatten the profile on the new(soft compound) tires on the long trip there I'm spending 6 days in the mountains after the rally and I'll be needing the round profile for playing in the essess with my sportbike friends.:D

Re: Tires

F650 Shortster said:
Been there, done that. Easier said than done.

I could get no useful information. The sites I found were the corporate sites. The BMW National rally was not on their events calendars. If this information is available somewhere on those sites, it sure is not very easily obtained. Maybe some of their PR people or BMW rally people would want to look into better advertising.

What a concept . . .advance ordering of tires to be installed AT the rally.

I was in contact with AZCmctires This guy is well know by the NE BMW group and is affectionly know by the moniker tire nazi. Ask him about it. his website is AZmctires If he does the work make sure to get the TNA approved stickers I have seen on some bikes.

Tire changing

The tire changing vendors who are coming to Charleston are well aware that they are coming to a B....M.....W.... rally.

I would be willing to guess that they have done their homework and will be bringing appropriate sized tires for any BMW. Probably won't be bringing too many fat wide whitewall 16 inchers.

One local M/C business I recommend is Casto's. They are a Kawasaki dealer but will order and change tires for anyone.

I use them for my Honda.

Phone 343-0486

Back