• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motus Motorcycles

Wonder what currently available frame / chassis would be a good host for one of the crate engine ?.......hummmmm

Wish this engine was around when we were shoe horning small block V-8s into small sports cars. ;)

This is the part of the conversation about the bike I don't think we are getting.

Agreed. This is a bike for a high net worth individual who wants to have something that few others have. He wants to be sure that, when he takes it to Alice's on weekends, there is not another one in the lot.

Wish this engine was around when we were shoe horning small block V-8s into small sports cars.
One I remember ... my wife's father had one.

Sunbeam Tiger (160 bhp);
horse power is about the same as the Motus, but at 485 pounds the engine weight is almost as heavy as the complete Motus motorcycle (the wet weight of the bike is stated at 530 pounds).
sunbeam-tiger-01.jpg

And a couple of other machines that would have benefited from the Motus.

66 Ford (UK) Lotus Cortina MkI (105 bhp)
I owned a '66 Lotus Cortina MkI for three years... still kick myself every morning for having sold it.
mmonzacropped.jpg

66 Lotus Elan (125 bhp)
Lotus-Elan-%2766.jpg

But where I'm thinkin' the Motus would really shine would be in a

Healey "BugEye" Sprite (43 bhp) or
1960austin-healeysprite_bugeyeroadster_m.jpg

MG Midget (56 bhp) ... a "big engine" conversion on these is usually something in the 1200cc range.
IMG_0239.jpg

Dynamometer run
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6K0TOcGRknc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

They may want to be a niche manufacturer. They aren't out of line at all for bikes built by specialty companies. Price some of the chopper shops, Confederate etc. There are buyers with the money and the inclination to spend it on motorcycles. I have my doubts about the number in the sport touring/ touring niche.

As has been pointed out earlier, my opinion is that the buyers of Confederates, OC Choppers, etc., type of bikes are not/were not, for the most part, motorcyclists. They wanted to own a motorcycle but they were not motorcyclists. A couple of guys I work with fit that mold exactly. Their typical ride is 50 km which takes them a couple of hours to complete and they almost kill themselves about 3 times each. Not at all interested in taking any kind of riding course.

I believe that buyers of a sport-touring motorcycle will be much more discerning in what they purchase and, for $31-37k, will be expecting something that performs as well as, or better than, the competition. I might pay $5k more for the luxury of having something different....but it better work well.

Last edited:
As has been pointed out earlier, my opinion is that the buyers of Confederates, OC Choppers, etc., type of bikes are not/were not, for the most part, motorcyclists. They wanted to own a motorcycle but they were not motorcyclists. A couple of guys I work with fit that mold exactly. Their typical ride is 50 km which takes them a couple of hours to complete and they almost kill themselves about 3 times each. Not at all interested in taking any kind of riding course.

I believe that buyers of a sport-touring motorcycle will be much more discerning in what they purchase and, for $31-37k, will be expecting something that performs as well as, or better than, the competition. I might pay $5k more for the luxury of having something different....but it better work well.

Not big into dissing others no matter how stupid I may think their bike is or their reason for buying it. I dominantly use my BMW as a commuting bike (<50 miles one way), sport riding and I follow racing. That resume makes me more like the guys you are describing than the average rider here. In an average year I may not have the miles but most of you don't have the days in the saddle. :brad

BMW and Motus don't give a hoot what we think makes a motorcyclist, biker, or squid as long as the check doesn't bounce. If you read what you quoted from me I do think there are plenty of check books big enough to buy in that price range just have serious doubts how many sports/touring riders are in it.

One I remember ... my wife's father had one.

If you own that Sunbeam I am going to be seriously jealous. I love those mini-lites, too.

A guy in my town pulled the 260, bolted in a hi-perf 289 and then proceeded to put the hurt on a few local 'Vette drivers. The thing was wicked fast.

Well. compared to the most expensive things that might (some by stretching) be lumped into the expensive touring category the Motus is ay least a fairly appealing bike with an interesting motor. Its lighter, so will be faster and probably more fun than BMWs 6 cyl techno barge. Compared to the last made in NC Indian priced at a similar level, its a stunning bargain if actual riding is your goal. And compared to blinged out Harley customs that can be pushed to that price level- well, ...

Allegedly, the Motus circles the track in Birmingham at similar times as 600cc sportbikes- not bad for a the size and weight. No doubt the ponies ought to allow for stronger accel even if the weight detracts from the cornering limit.

I would like to see the motor in more affordable stuff- never really loved complex stuff for real transportation though I've owned some of it for track play. Wrenching on some of the 4 cyl J brand stuff or BMWs 6, all of which are models of inaccessibility isn't high on my fun list at my age.
The babyblock is utter simplicity, tough to get more simple unless its a two stroke (and yes I'd really like to see some of outboard motor developments find their way into bikes).

Maybe if they get bought out the potential for spreading the "technology" in the bike will spread. Polaris could do it if they chose though it means a different market than Victory, Indian and Harley...If we got lucky, the J brand guys would build a copy some day but its way out of their DNA...maybe the folks in India considering their tastes for acquiring western brands??

I agree right now they can only be a niche player. Most who shoot for that go belly up but maybe they'll be in the lucky few. Certainly there are no bargain aspects in the Motus by comparison to anything else. I assign it a big negative for having a chain drive, no doubt done for cost reasons- not exactly what I want on a touring bike. Takes more than a motor and a set of upscale parts to make a complete machine that's fun to ride

I hope they stay in the game for awhile

They must be offering a pretty good deal to dealers. The HD- BMW shop I deal with in Louisville has a huge inventory of Harley's and a decent inventory of BMW's. Millions of dollars worth of bikes and they are listed on the Motus web site as a dealer for Motus . Although they don't have a Motus there yet. We'll see

They recently got floor financing backing, a necessity at that price level, which will help dealerships wanting to sign on.

I know nothing of their balance sheets but first production runs will sure put a stretch on anything but robust financing.

I hope Motus will find enough buyers to be viable. The bike is as beautiful as any ducati in my eyes. It has roughly double the displacement of a Honda VFR, but only a 10 - 15 lb. weight penalty. Combine that with top notch suspension and brakes and I suspect it will be the sportiest sport-tourer in production. Along those lines, the chain drive allows for less unsprung weight, wider tires without getting too bulky at the swing arm and easy final drive ratio changes if you feel inclined to do so.

While I too hope they survive I am more than a little curious how Honda may respond to the Motus release. Rumors on the street have them replacing the ST1300 in 2014. The ST has a base price of $18K a five speed and weighs about 730lbs. The Motous has far more S than t. Might Honda take their sT and turn it into a St?

The bike is as beautiful as any ducati in my eyes.

I can get you an appointment with a good optometrist. :D

Mika: Before we start thinking about what bikes other manufacturers might respond with, let's see an independent road test by one of the major mags. And let the tester not be Alan Cathcart - he's never a met a motorcycle he didn't like.

I can get you an appointment with a good optometrist. :D

Mika: Before we start thinking about what bikes other manufacturers might respond with, let's see an independent road test by one of the major mags. And let the tester not be Alan Cathcart - he's never a met a motorcycle he didn't like.

The Alan Cathcart in me nicest looking bike is the bike I am riding on any given ride. :laugh

Motorcycle tests by any author will be too late to the dance. Motus, Honda with its 700 series, BMW's F800GT are just the first shots at riders looking for lighter weight or physically smaller sportier touring machines. From Day 1 the Motus struck me as much closer to the ST Honda shoulda/coulda built to define that class.

Motus, Honda with its 700 series, BMW's F800GT are just the first shots at riders looking for lighter weight or physically smaller sportier touring machines.

The difference is the Motus is in the same weight class with double the displacement and cyclinders. I can't justify the price for one, but I want to ride one and maybe someday buy a used one.

I sat on a Motus motorcycle at Daytona last year, it fit me like a glove.
all I need now to own one is to win the LOTTO ;)

I understand and agree. I would love to ride one. Even if I won the LOTTO I would probably wait for a used one. There are just to many bikes to buy, ride sell or collect to buy them new.

Back