• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Torque Wrench recommendations

You can go bananas and spend all kinds of money on these things. The Sears Craftsman click type torque wrench is more than adequate for torquing bolts etc on your bike or home projects. I own the Craftsman units for home. I carry on my KLR or 1150RT, wrenches from Harbor Freight. The reason I do this is that if I am on a long distance/period ride I take these because on the KLR, I need the 1/4" drive to get into crazy tight spots. I keep them out of the way and in no way do they bother me. I'm funny in that I'll prepare for any situation and act on it within reason. They have come in handy many times and I've always been glad to have had them. These are all calibrated within tight specs and the only reason they will go out of spec is not storing them properly or beating the crap out of them.

If you don't buy a torque wrench with a traceable calibration, you should probably give some thought to testing it. Basically you need a bar of known length (with a square hole for the drive, something that can be made from bar stock using a drill and files) and weights. Cheap wrenches might or might not be accurate.

Point is you don't have to go nuts spending all sorts of $ for a basic tool unless spending $ makes you feel good. The gs guys, dual sport guys, klr or not can easily carry a HF wrench and get by fine on the trail. Its nice to know your in the ball park when cranking down on a bolt rather than snapping one in the block or where ever.

Back