• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spare key for 2007 R1200GS

Take your registration and drivers license to a dealer. They'll order you one. Don't know the current price. It used to be about $70.

I just picked up my spare key from the dealer Wednesday. Cost was $63 including California sales tax. Took 3 days for the key to arrive.

I'm not sure of applicability to the '07 GS, but BMW gave me an additional metal key for my '08 RT as part of a recall or campaign, at no charge. For a while back then new BMW's were supplied with only one metal key and one plastic key, but upon request the owner could get an additional metal one. I got mine while the RT was still under warranty which might also have some bearing on this. Anyway, it seems there's a chance you could get a new key at no charge.

I'm not sure of applicability to the '07 GS, but BMW gave me an additional metal key for my '08 RT as part of a recall or campaign, at no charge. For a while back then new BMW's were supplied with only one metal key and one plastic key, but upon request the owner could get an additional metal one. I got mine while the RT was still under warranty which might also have some bearing on this. Anyway, it seems there's a chance you could get a new key at no charge.

Unfortunately - that didn't apply to the 2007 models. I tried. Ended up having to pay for it. I got to see the SIB that BMW sent to the dealers and it was quite specific on 2008+..

My dealer is a four hour ride. I simply called and asked for one. They had my VIN on file so placed the order without seeing the bike. Took a few days and the cost was in the ballpark of $60.

Pete

Back