• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R1100RS Ported & Polished Heads??

M

mtnbikers33

Has anyone installed and/or ported/polished their heads? I am toying with the idea of pulling the heads off my 95 R1100RS. I believe the "95" is a big valve head and from what I have read, there is ample HP increase with this mod. I have installed a Staintune and K&N air filter but I am looking for more front wheel lift... Hee ha!

Unless you have access to a flow bench you will more than likely do more harm than you will good.
I can't tell you how many "home" porting jobs that have made flow much worse.

As a side note, do a little internet research on your K&N filter. I think you will find that it lets way more dirt through than the stock filter (thus causing engine wear).
Plus, the stock filter flows way more air (X2) than the engine can use.

I understand your quest....but I strongly urge you to research before proceeding.

Ken

+1 Ken. In younger days it worked with SB & BB Chevys i owned/built. Boxers, think not..

Last edited:
My 95 R1100RSL has large valves. The parts list shows large to small valve chage at Oct 1995 production.

Unless you have access to a flow bench you will more than likely do more harm than you will good.
I can't tell you how many "home" porting jobs that have made flow much worse.

As a side note, do a little internet research on your K&N filter. I think you will find that it lets way more dirt through than the stock filter (thus causing engine wear).
Plus, the stock filter flows way more air (X2) than the engine can use.

I understand your quest....but I strongly urge you to research before proceeding.
Ken

So Ken,
What is your experience anyway? Have you ever ported and/or balanced an engine? If anyone has info of the best way to go about increasing the HP on th R1100RS, this is what I am talking about. Let's talk...

As the say at the races. "Lead, Follow or get out of the way!" Thanks....

Last edited:
I did not mean to be condescending, or to piss you off. Just attempting to share some very expensive knowlege...... you see the boat in my avitar?
I built the 532 Ford that runs on 92 octane pump gas, with a single 1250 cfm. 4 bbl. It puts out 902 HP at the flywheel. It runs the 1/4 mile in the 9 second class. It is going 110-112 at the 1/8 mile mark, and gains maybe 2-3 mph for the last half of the track.

After trying the "home porting/polishing" effort on two different sets of CJ (Cobra-Jet) heads with dissappointing dyno results I finally bought a set of Blue Thunder Aluminum heads and matching intake, and became aquainted over the internet with a guy named Charlie Evans from Kentucky. Charley is one of the wizards of headwork in the Ford world. I took the new heads and intake to him, and stayed with him for 3 days while he "rubbed on my heads & intake". I don't claim to know 1/10th as much as Charley, but I am smart enough to know after watching him work on a flowbench, and seeing the dyno results that what I said is true. And if you were half as knowlegable as you claim, you would know it without being told.

No, I've not spent 24 hours at 130. However I've done quite a few 135-145 mph liquid 1/4 miles, 7 seconds at a time.

Laugh and scoff all you want. Advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Good luck with your project - look into a turbo.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwR1100.html

Then go spend a couple of hours on a S1000RR.

I did not mean to be condescending, or to piss you off. Just attempting to share some very expensive knowlege...... you see the boat in my avitar?
I built the 532 Ford that runs on 92 octane pump gas, with a single 1250 cfm. 4 bbl. It puts out 902 HP at the flywheel. It runs the 1/4 mile in the 9 second class. It is going 110-112 at the 1/8 mile mark, and gains maybe 2-3 mph for the last half of the track.

After trying the "home porting/polishing" effort on two different sets of CJ (Cobra-Jet) heads with dissappointing dyno results I finally bought a set of Blue Thunder Aluminum heads and matching intake, and became aquainted over the internet with a guy named Charlie Evans from Kentucky. Charley is one of the wizards of headwork in the Ford world. I took the new heads and intake to him, and stayed with him for 3 days while he "rubbed on my heads & intake". I don't claim to know 1/10th as much as Charley, but I am smart enough to know after watching him work on a flowbench, and seeing the dyno results that what I said is true. And if you were half as knowlegable as you claim, you would know it without being told.

No, I've not spent 24 hours at 130. However I've done quite a few 135-145 mph liquid 1/4 miles, 7 seconds at a time.

Laugh and scoff all you want. Advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Good luck with your project - look into a turbo.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwR1100.html

Then go spend a couple of hours on a S1000RR.

Thanks Ken. I did not mean to offend you either. I too recreate on the water. I sail a 30' Hunter but our max haul speed is 7 knots..... LOL.

I see that Speeds Cycle has done quite a bit with R1100RS heads and they offer a set of "95" Big Valve ported/ploished heads for $800. I guess I like the chalange of figuring things out myself, eh.

I began building race bikes when I was 18 y.o. I worked for free at a dragster/speed shop where I learned to balance/blueprint engines, port heads, build race engines, use Moon Air Density Guage in carb tuning as well as working as a Honda/Kawasaki mechanic. My vintage race bike is a 1989 Honda NT650GT bored out to 697cc, with race cams w/slotted cam sprockets, total loss ignition, 11 to 1/ported heads, GSXR 750 43mm front end, oversized radiator, full race fairing, 5" Honda VFR 750 rear wheel, Ohlins shock, 120/160 race slicks and M4 race exhaust weighing in at 310#. It dyno's at 74HP on race fuel.

A S1000RR is out of my price range. I have too many bikes/criters in the barn. Besides, my passion is with twins. However, it would be fun to ride your boat for 7 seconds.... Hee ha. If your travels ever reach into Vermont, stop by and I would be happy to show you how slow my boat can go..... but it has a frige :)
I just want more HP from by touring bike.....LOL.

Thanks for sharing.

Never done it myself, but every report on home port-n-polish of heads offers some guidelines:
1. Clean up the obvious flashings and steps in the airflow intake and exhaust.
2. Clean up the intake side of the system, and light polishing the intake runners and valve stem area.
3. Clean up the obvious obstructions in the exahust side around the valve stem, but not to the point of polishing.

Think I have that right.

Back