• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

3 Million Canadians visit Florida each year! Please Read!

Permit?

These folks don't need a permit, they need a map. They also should know we make right hand turns from the right lane, NOT the left. Basically they are lost, county and city maps are available with street names. Often I wonder how they got this far without crashing.

These folks don't need a permit, they need a map. They also should know we make right hand turns from the right lane, NOT the left. Basically they are lost, county and city maps are available with street names. Often I wonder how they got this far without crashing.

They didn't crash because the airline pilot was competent. You guys only make right turns from the right lane? Well, what if you are in the left lane and suddenly see your turn coming up? Are you saying there is NOT a "senior citizen clause" that allows turns to either the left or right across traffic lanes if you are over 65? Well maybe you guys need to figure out how many bucks 3 million Canadian tourists drop in your state every year, and what percentage are over 65!

So, lose those International Driving Permits and Get Out Of Our Way if you value your economy.

Permits

They didn't crash because the airline pilot was competent. You guys only make right turns from the right lane? Well, what if you are in the left lane and suddenly see your turn coming up? Are you saying there is NOT a "senior citizen clause" that allows turns to either the left or right across traffic lanes if you are over 65? Well maybe you guys need to figure out how many bucks 3 million Canadian tourists drop in your state every year, and what percentage are over 65!

So, lose those International Driving Permits and Get Out Of Our Way if you value your economy.

Well Well Well, BCKRider, Its not hard to tell where your mind is "DOLLARS SPENT", dollars do not make safety, dollars do not make courtesy, dollars do not make consideration of others, dollars do not supersede driving ability. Do you think you and come down here, spend money and do what ever it is you want? Oh yeah, I almost forgot, your friends and fellow countrymen carry Canadian Tags on their cars, ever notice that? It has little to do with airlines. I am 80 years old and I still know left from right and when I am talking to an idiot.
Besides I am retired and don't need your dollars, never did.

I still know left from right and when I am talking to an idiot.

In the immortal words of that great philosopher,

"......Can't we all just get along?......."

And, might I suggest, if a snowbird is traveling south via an airplane, wouldn't you get more bang for the "loonie" if the flight ended in Puerto Rico or Havana? In addition, wouldn't that send a stronger message to Mr. Scott and his friends in the FL Legislature? Or, you can still go to FL and deal with the added hassle, but it is your choice.

Gene T, they do it here when they're not down there. 2 major farm shows here annually, and you can tell when they arrive. But instead of smaller passenger vehicles we get the 4X4 dually crew cab diesel truck going 30 km/h in a 50 zone, gawking and pulling hard rights from the left lane. Most have come from small town and rural areas where traffic is light and they can drive any way they want. Put them in an unfamiliar environment with bad habits and we both see the results. I think the biggest difference is you see way more of them all the time, and they're not willing or unable to adapt to different driving needs. I feel your pain.

Well Well Well, BCKRider, Its not hard to tell where your mind is "DOLLARS SPENT", dollars do not make safety, dollars do not make courtesy, dollars do not make consideration of others, dollars do not supersede driving ability. Do you think you and come down here, spend money and do what ever it is you want? Oh yeah, I almost forgot, your friends and fellow countrymen carry Canadian Tags on their cars, ever notice that? It has little to do with airlines. I am 80 years old and I still know left from right and when I am talking to an idiot.

Hey, Gene T, I'm sure you didn't reach the age of 80 without a sense of humour. I'm truly sorry my own version of humour riled you instead of at least getting a chuckle. Good lesson for all of us though that what we type can be taken very litteraly when we meant to be ironic and at least a little funny. So, my fault, not yours.

I think it would be kinda fun to see a couple of senior citizens really get after it! Keep it up and maybe it will happen?:type

uh oh

"...Are you saying there is NOT a "senior citizen clause" that allows turns to either the left or right across traffic lanes if you are over 65?..." Way to go, troublemaker. Hopefully there aren't any members of the Florida legislature, Department of Motor Vehicles, Department of Tourism, or the Canadian Protective League reading this thread. If there are, there will probably some Florida lawmaker getting his ear bent about ensuring they get the wording on that particular codicil correct.
I am pretty sure they already have a similar law in Georgia: "I've been turning (left/right) at this here street for the last 47 years. Everybody knows I turn here."

As a point of clarification: What is a "senior citizen"? Being 'too old to die young', maybe I am one. :dunno (and is this related to what Steve Goodman sang: "well I took a wrong turn but it was a right turn, my chance to have me a ball......") - Bob

I think all Doug said was tongue in Cheek!

Canadian Drivers

Hey, Gene T, I'm sure you didn't reach the age of 80 without a sense of humour. I'm truly sorry my own version of humour riled you instead of at least getting a chuckle. Good lesson for all of us though that what we type can be taken very litteraly when we meant to be ironic and at least a little funny. So, my fault, not yours.

BCKRIDER, your apology is accepted, my apology is extended to you. And thank you I haven't lost my sense of humor but there are some other things missing, but I can't remember what they were or where I put them.:wow Perhaps you are due an explanation, seeing bumper stickers that read "I Drive Where I Want To-You Drive Where You Can" makes me wonder is this a joke or a warning. When I was working, my job took me to all of the Gulf States and sometimes Georgia, anyplace where pleasure yachts might be docked. The equipment I carried required me mostly to driving as opposed to flying, each and every time I returned to South Florida it was very noticeable that the drivers here in South Florida are rude, the closer to home I got the worse they were. This mostly includes cars with Florida Tags. Here we are invaded each year by snow birds adding their bad driving habits to ours, to make matters worse when there is a major event either in Miami-Dade or Broward in the winter months traffic worsens. Older riders like myself consider this a hazard and often hesitate to ride in this heavy crazy traffic. The younger guys on crotch rockets consider it a challenge.

Have a nice day,

BCKRIDER, your apology is accepted, my apology is extended to you. And thank you I haven't lost my sense of humor but there are some other things missing, but I can't remember what they were or where I put them.:wow Perhaps you are due an explanation, seeing bumper stickers that read "I Drive Where I Want To-You Drive Where You Can" makes me wonder is this a joke or a warning. When I was working, my job took me to all of the Gulf States and sometimes Georgia, anyplace where pleasure yachts might be docked. The equipment I carried required me mostly to driving as opposed to flying, each and every time I returned to South Florida it was very noticeable that the drivers here in South Florida are rude, the closer to home I got the worse they were. This mostly includes cars with Florida Tags. Here we are invaded each year by snow birds adding their bad driving habits to ours, to make matters worse when there is a major event either in Miami-Dade or Broward in the winter months traffic worsens. Older riders like myself consider this a hazard and often hesitate to ride in this heavy crazy traffic. The younger guys on crotch rockets consider it a challenge.

Have a nice day,

Never a bad thing when we can not only exchange apologies but also laugh at ourselves! I am 14 years younger than you and can only hope I am still around, much less riding, if I reach the age of 80. I am already limiting my riding to reduced capabilites (no night riding, avoid freeways around major cities) and respect you for recognizing and avoiding the most hazardous riding in your area. Those young riders, while they almost certainly have better reaction time, very likely do not fully appreciate the dangers. When did we recognize we were not immortal? Amazingly, most of us survive that period in our lives.

Never a bad thing when we can not only exchange apologies but also laugh at ourselves! I am 14 years younger than you and can only hope I am still around, much less riding, if I reach the age of 80. I am already limiting my riding to reduced capabilites (no night riding, avoid freeways around major cities) and respect you for recognizing and avoiding the most hazardous riding in your area. Those young riders, while they almost certainly have better reaction time, very likely do not fully appreciate the dangers. When did we recognize we were not immortal? Amazingly, most of us survive that period in our lives.

BCK, often I read of a motorcycle striking the rear of a car on the interstate, rider dead at scene. Makes one wonder how such a thing can happen. Well here is my view, a good many of these rear end collisions happen at night which brings to mind poorer vision at night, lack of depth perception and just plain going too fast. By the time they realize how close they are to the vehicle in front which is likely already traveling at 70 MPH its simply too late. BOOM! The hit is usually one of the rear corners, which says the rider tried to swerve around, but too late.

BTY, if I did not take some freeway out of this rats nest, I would never see open road. I can only go three directions, south, west or north, going east would require flotation.

BCK, often I read of a motorcycle striking the rear of a car on the interstate, rider dead at scene. Makes one wonder how such a thing can happen. Well here is my view, a good many of these rear end collisions happen at night which brings to mind poorer vision at night, lack of depth perception and just plain going too fast. By the time they realize how close they are to the vehicle in front which is likely already traveling at 70 MPH its simply too late. BOOM! The hit is usually one of the rear corners, which says the rider tried to swerve around, but too late.

BTY, if I did not take some freeway out of this rats nest, I would never see open road. I can only go three directions, south, west or north, going east would require flotation.

Gene T, this is the FIRST TIME I've read of riders rear-ending cars! Oh, I believe you - guess that is not the kind of crash most riders care to post about. And here I thought the danger of being rear-ended was the least of our concerns. You must have some truly bad riders (as well as drivers) in your state, though I guess they are doing their best to take themselves out of the gene pool. When I decided riding at night was too scary for me, rear-ending another vehicle never even entered my mind. I was concerned about road defects that I couldn't see in time to avoid them and the fact that it was harder to place my bike exactly where I wanted in my lane. Also harder to see the more numerous animals.

Your last paragraph makes me appreciate even more living in a semi-rural part of British Columbia. I suspect the majority of riders, like you, have to contend with serious freeway traffic to get to the backroads which are so much more enjoyable, if not truly safer. I wish you many more safe and enjoyable miles on your bike.

Back