• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Snowflake wheel recall still available?

edbmw

edbmw
I've got a front wheel that fits the recall. Just wondering if it's still possible to get a new rim. Haven't called the dealer yet and try to explain to them a old recall. The local dealer, Milwaukee BMW was recently sold to a car dealership and from past experience, they may not have a clue as to what I'm talking about. Searched here and on the net a didn't find much info.

Thanks, Ed

Thanks, I saw Snowbum's page on the recall. I guess I didn't find any "official" info. I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow an see what they say. I couldn't believe I had one and that they are still around after all these years.

Generally, you will likely have to bring the bike in with the wheel so the dealer can verify that the bike has not had a recall against it already. If you came upon a wheel through a used source that didn't come with the bike, I think it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to get the wheel accepted as part of the recall.

As Kurt says, the recall is tied to the VIN. If your bike VIN has already had the wheel recalled you are out of luck. The recalled rims are supposed to be destroyed. If you get a replacement rim be aware that the hub/bearings are supposed to be properly greased and set up. They often are not. Especially if the service techs at your auto/moto dealership aren't familiar setting up snowflake wheel bearings.

mandatory for 10 years

Much speculation on this topic, and so many conflicting 'authoritative' answers that it seemed a good idea to check with the source.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm

A recall is in effect for ten years from original retail sale date. This however does not mean that the manufacturer will deny claims, only that they are no longer obligated.

My understanding of this recall, probably explained by Snowbum, is that is a lifetime recall...it will never expire. Maybe that means until a certain percentage of the produced wheels are destroyed...or until the number of recall requests fall below a certain number per year...I don't know if there are any limitations. BMW called this on themselves...it was not forced on them. But in the end, it has taken up what appears to be a mandatory recall which will run for a long time.

Much speculation on this topic, and so many conflicting 'authoritative' answers that it seemed a good idea to check with the source.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm

A recall is in effect for ten years from original retail sale date. This however does not mean that the manufacturer will deny claims, only that they are no longer obligated.

I believe you have misinterpreted what you read.

From the link above " For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003." To me that means if the 1993 model had the same safety issue, a recall would not be required. It not saying there is a 10 year limit on recalls.

Further info on these wheels?

Can anyone upload (or private message me for my email) clear hi-res pics of BOTH wheels - the defective one, and the replacement one?

And clearly show what the visible differences are? I have seen a few pics, but they are so bad and poorly descriptive that I am not sure what to look for to see if a wheel is one of the recalled ones or not!

Thanks,

Finally called the local dealer and they said to bring in the wheel to confirm the casting numbers on it and I should be good to go. I'll keep this updated as I go through the process.

I had mine replaced in 1998 on my 1980 r100rs euro mdl. I was at the Missoula Mt. ralley and this guy named Bob Henig came along and pointed it out to me. The wheel had no cracks but I had it changed out as soon as I got back to Texas.

DW

Recall wheel

Just so you know.
It seems that BMW was not very carefull about disposing of these recalled wheels. Although my first guess is that there were some unscrupulous dealers that didn't destroy them and later sold them to unsuspecting customers as used wheels!
I say this because BMW has actually replaced more recall wheels, than they actually produced! Well, when they figured this out, they adopted the policy of checking VIN numbers.
The last recall wheel that I had, I had to show them the bike, with the wheel attached. I also had to prove to them that the bike was currently registered, insured, and drivable. Really can't blame them for that, at this point in time.

Got the call from the dealer. The wheel is eligible for recall. Just have to bring in the bike, they'll check the vin, then order and replace the wheel. Problem is, the wheel I have, doesn't have the bike to go with it, sort of. I think that the frame is not the same one the wheel came with and there is not quite a whole bike to it. Maybe I'll have to hang on to it till a hard core restorer is looking for a correct wheel to finish his project.

Back