• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

PJ - New rider and member from Canton, Michigan

pjavkar

Hi guys,
Just wanted to introduce myself. Just bought myself a R1200RT last year from the Canton dealership. My fourth bike, but my first BMW. Loving it, but not getting enough opportunities to ride, hopefully that will change in the upcoming days.

Looking forward to meeting and riding with some of you.
Cheers
PJ

Welcome, PJ, to the MOA and to the world of BMW bikes. You might want to check out the Touring Club of Detroit here: BMWTCD.ORG. Feel free to just show up at any of our breakfast meetings and introduce yourself. The 2013 events aren't on the calendar yet, but will be following our planning meeting. I'll look forward to meeting you.

Dan

Hello PJ,
I just joined the this club this week and go to the same dealer as you. Though, I'm a little over an hour south of you. I didn't buy my bike there, but I've been happy with them for what I've had them do. I will probably show up there on their spring Demo day this coming year.

Hey thanks for the welcome guys.
I have been riding for a few years now, this is my fourth bike, but my first BMW. Never been out riding for long distance, but definitely want to get into it.

Glad to let you all know that I am signed up for the MOA (Fontana Dam, NC) event in late April. I might even sign up for Gettysburg at the last minute. I am self-educating myself reading or watching videos, and getting my gear ready, etc. I want to do some practice runs before the big one, gradually increasing in time and distance, so I am well prepared for the journey. I am also signed up for Lee Parks Advanced Training class in late March - planning to ride to Georgetown, KY for that.

Droptine (not sure what you like to be referred to as) - glad to know you are in the local area, are you from lower MI, or from Toledo, OH? Nevertheless we should go riding sometime. Next time you are coming up to the Canton dealership, let me know and I might stop by to say Hi, or even buy you a coffee at Starbucks from across the street ;)
Any interest in attending the Gettysburg or Fontana Dam events?

Welcome, PJ, to the MOA and to the world of BMW bikes. You might want to check out the Touring Club of Detroit here: BMWTCD.ORG. Feel free to just show up at any of our breakfast meetings and introduce yourself. The 2013 events aren't on the calendar yet, but will be following our planning meeting. I'll look forward to meeting you.

Dan

Hey Dan, Yes I saw you on the TCD forum the other day. THanks - yes I look forward to meeting you and others from the club. I wanted to attend this morning's breakfast meeting, but something came up at the last minute. Next Sunday, I did wanna come tot the planning meeting, but have another lunch meeting scheduled and might not be able to make it. If I can slip out early from the other meeting, I might come by late.

Cheers
PJ

Welcome to the BMW MOA from West Bloomfield, MI

PJavkar,

Greetings and welcome to the club. My name is Kent and I live in West Bloomfield, not that far from Canton. I purchased a BMW K1300S about three years ago from the Canton-based BMW dealer and have been very happy with it. Just as I recalled from my experiences from over 30 years ago, I find that some of the friendliest people ride motorcycles but those with the best taste ride BMWs (just having some fun there folks as my first bike was a Kawasaki followed by a Honda). The BMW Touring Club of Detroit was mentioned as one possible place to meet like-minded motorcyclists and I would also encourage you to look at the MSTA (Motorcycle Sport Touring Association) which is open to riders of all types of motorcycles (though >50% are Beemers). The local squadron meets on the fourth Saturday of each month at 8:30 AM at Karl's Cabin on Gottredson just north of M-14 -- and it's a fun bunch as well. If you want to learn more, just ping me, and in the meantime enjoy your new RT!

Kent

I have been riding for a few years now, this is my fourth bike, but my first BMW. Never been out riding for long distance, but definitely want to get into it.

Glad to let you all know that I am signed up for the MOA (Fontana Dam, NC) event in late April. I might even sign up for Gettysburg at the last minute. I am self-educating myself reading or watching videos, and getting my gear ready, etc. I want to do some practice runs before the big one, gradually increasing in time and distance, so I am well prepared for the journey. I am also signed up for Lee Parks Advanced Training class in late March - planning to ride to Georgetown, KY for that.

Droptine (not sure what you like to be referred to as) - glad to know you are in the local area, are you from lower MI, or from Toledo, OH? Nevertheless we should go riding sometime. Next time you are coming up to the Canton dealership, let me know and I might stop by to say Hi, or even buy you a coffee at Starbucks from across the street ;)
Any interest in attending the Gettysburg or Fontana Dam events?

PJ,
Yes, I'm in Perrysburg, Ohio, right next to Toledo. I'm thinking about Gettysburg. I was supposed to go a couple years ago with some friends(unrelated to bmw trip), but we decided against it due to that hurricane that was moving along the east coast that year, went to the Dragon instead. I've never been there and wanted to go due to the Civil War history.
I'm not familar with the Fontana event but would be willing to look into it. I'm also considering the Sturgis Mi, event, as I can be there in probably 90 to 100 minutes, but would probably just ride home that evening. I can't commit to a full weekend just yet due to work related issues and of course the pending wife approval.
I have some lowering springs on order and I'm expecting them this week. After I get them, I will have to head to the dealer for the spring change. I'm contemplating whether or not I want to pull the shocks off my self and drive them up to have the springs changed, or just get the bike dewinterized when the weather is better ride it up, have them pull them because I don't have the proper lift to remove the front shock or to leave the bike in that state for an extended time. I may invest in it before hand, I don't know. But that's a convo for a different thread.

PJavkar,

Greetings and welcome to the club. My name is Kent and I live in West Bloomfield, not that far from Canton. I purchased a BMW K1300S about three years ago from the Canton-based BMW dealer and have been very happy with it. Just as I recalled from my experiences from over 30 years ago, I find that some of the friendliest people ride motorcycles but those with the best taste ride BMWs (just having some fun there folks as my first bike was a Kawasaki followed by a Honda). The BMW Touring Club of Detroit was mentioned as one possible place to meet like-minded motorcyclists and I would also encourage you to look at the MSTA (Motorcycle Sport Touring Association) which is open to riders of all types of motorcycles (though >50% are Beemers). The local squadron meets on the fourth Saturday of each month at 8:30 AM at Karl's Cabin on Gottredson just north of M-14 -- and it's a fun bunch as well. If you want to learn more, just ping me, and in the meantime enjoy your new RT!

Kent

Hi Kent,
Thanks for the intro - and I agree the BMWs are expensive machines but they have so much more to offer. Anyhoo...I heard about MSTA and I will check it out too. Maybe I will attend one of their breakfasts.
Hope to catch you later.
PJ

PJ,
Yes, I'm in Perrysburg, Ohio, right next to Toledo. I'm thinking about Gettysburg. I was supposed to go a couple years ago with some friends(unrelated to bmw trip), but we decided against it due to that hurricane that was moving along the east coast that year, went to the Dragon instead. I've never been there and wanted to go due to the Civil War history.
I'm not familar with the Fontana event but would be willing to look into it. I'm also considering the Sturgis Mi, event, as I can be there in probably 90 to 100 minutes, but would probably just ride home that evening. I can't commit to a full weekend just yet due to work related issues and of course the pending wife approval.
I have some lowering springs on order and I'm expecting them this week. After I get them, I will have to head to the dealer for the spring change. I'm contemplating whether or not I want to pull the shocks off my self and drive them up to have the springs changed, or just get the bike dewinterized when the weather is better ride it up, have them pull them because I don't have the proper lift to remove the front shock or to leave the bike in that state for an extended time. I may invest in it before hand, I don't know. But that's a convo for a different thread.

Cool...let me know if you decide to go to Gettysburg, I am two minds, but I might be swayed to attend, if there is a big enough group. I don't know if I can handle two long rides in consecutive weekends. Don't know why they didn't plan these rides at least a few weeks apart. But again, if there is a good number of riders as company, it might make the trip fun. I am also thinking of Sturgis (never been there before). About your shocks, if I were you, I would recommend to get the shocks done at the dealership, they might cut you a discount of you are a regular.
Later
PJ

Any interest in attending the Gettysburg or Fontana Dam events?[/

HI PJ,

Welcome to the forum and the Beemer way of life. Great bikes and great people.
Just wanted to let you know I am also attending the Lee Parks class in March. I will be going to the advanced as well as the class the day before. Let me know your schedule and we can meet on the way there. I am just south on Dayton. Have rooms booked for the 26 th and 27 th if I remember correctly.
See you soon.

Bob

Any interest in attending the Gettysburg or Fontana Dam events?[/

HI PJ,

Welcome to the forum and the Beemer way of life. Great bikes and great people.
Just wanted to let you know I am also attending the Lee Parks class in March. I will be going to the advanced as well as the class the day before. Let me know your schedule and we can meet on the way there. I am just south on Dayton. Have rooms booked for the 26 th and 27 th if I remember correctly.
See you soon.

Bob

Hi Bob,
That's perfect, thanks for introducing yourself, it would be great to have some company on the road. Right now I am signed up for the Advanced class Level 1 on the 27th. I was thinking of doing the Level 2 class, but that would be additional $300 plus I would have to spend one extra day there. I thought I could do that some other time, maybe in the summer, in Mississauga, ON, or something.
Anyway, what day are you taking the Level 1, the 26th or 27th? I haven't paid yet, so I could try and sign up on the same day, so that I will at least know one person there :)
Let me know.
Thanks
PJ

Hi Bob,
That's perfect, thanks for introducing yourself, it would be great to have some company on the road. Right now I am signed up for the Advanced class Level 1 on the 27th. I was thinking of doing the Level 2 class, but that would be additional $300 plus I would have to spend one extra day there. I thought I could do that some other time, maybe in the summer, in Mississauga, ON, or something.
Anyway, what day are you taking the Level 1, the 26th or 27th? I haven't paid yet, so I could try and sign up on the same day, so that I will at least know one person there :)
Let me know.
Thanks
PJ

PM Sent.

Back