• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Q: Does Ilium sidestand foot loop snag...

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
...your pant leg?

I do want to enlarge the sidestand foot on my R1200RT. The loop looks like it might help put it down securely. I do find this tricky sometimes. No tip over yet (that way!). However, a friend says it snags his pants on his V-Strom.

So, RT guys - any user experience? :confused: :ca :gerg

I put the side-stand foot pad on my 2011 RT for two reasons: it enlarges the footprint to help keep the stand from sinking into soft pavement; and the loop makes it easier to find the side-stand with my boot to flip it down. Both those things are well done, but as you mentioned the loop can snag your pants. I haven't had a problem with falling over but have flipped the stand down unintentionally a couple of times, only when wearing my Draggin jeans which seem to have a wider leg than my Olympia overpants. This once led to an embarrassing situation right in front of the local moto hangout when I tried to start and ride the RT with the stand down. Twice. After I figured out the problem I modified (bent) the loop a little so it's not a problem.

pete
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde

I cut down the loop a bit and re-welded it. I found that a 1/2" reduction did the trick for my legs/pants.

I have had it on my 2010RT for two years with nary an issue no matter what I was wearing. It's one of the best farkles you can add. :thumb

I do not find that it snags.

I do find that it's sometimes slightly harder to 'grab' the end of the stand, perversely enough; I almost think that the Wunderlich version would be better, because I had no real trouble deploying the stocker. But overall it works, and I appreciate the additional spread.

I have had it on my 2010RT for two years with nary an issue no matter what I was wearing. It's one of the best farkles you can add. :thumb

Same experience here - on the R1200RT for seven years - no issues.

Excellent and practical addition! :thumb

I will second that. Works great. No issues. Ridden with it for five years. When sitting your pant leg should rise up to the top of your foot or lower ankle if your pant is fitted correctly.

Jack

Mine never snags. It was the first (and probably one of the best) farkles I've added. I did end up stripping one of the screws though but I don't ever plan on taking it off so that hasn't been a problem.

Back