• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Route 66

FELAW

I guess Rout66 (or US 40), Chicago to LA, is out of the question in July due to heat, cage traffic and tourists? I'm sure others have tried and I would be interested in their experiences before I start gearing up.

It's doable, but it will be very hot in the southwest. Flagstaff, AZ is at 7,000+ feet, but going up and coming back down it will be hot. Probably 105+ in Needles, CA and 100+ across the Mojave desert through Barstow. A lot of the old US-66 is rideable just off I-40 in AZ and CA.

Big deal. Heat ain't nothing. Just go ahead and ride when you can. Sure, it will be a bit warm, but you can stop any time and get an a/c restaurant, bar, or motel.
And elevation will be cooler.
Just ride. That's what it's all about.
dc

My first time on that route was in July 1969 in my 66 Corvette, no air conditioning, torn shifter boot allowing engine heat into the car, and 105+. Ah, those were the days. Lived to tell about it.

You will find the ride more interesting if you research the route and try to ride most of the original road instead of I-40. A lot of Americana history, In Az you will be at elevation until west of Ash Fork. Down to Kingman which is around 3000 ft. From there it will get hot. 60+ miles to Needles. I did it once on my Yamaha Venture and had to adjust the speed based on the coolant temp instead of the speedometer. Over 80 it would start to get too hot. Pulled into a fuel station with the attendant hosing down the drive. I parked the bike and walked over to him, took the hose from him and directed it down my back.

Your ride will be limited by how much time you want to spend on the road, sightseeing, etc. Iron Butt pace it can be done in 2 days or less, tourist pace might take a couple of weeks. It can be easliy done in July.

bob

Well worth watching if you haven't seen it, it's four episodes, available on DVD and elsewhere.

8469378832_99cd261fe3_b.jpg

I just went and searched youtube and you can find it there.

Start early;stop early. July and August for us (1st on a 27 year old 1973 R75/5; second on a 15 yr old 1992 K1100LT) both rides were two up. Hot? oh yeah but man what a ride! We were not 'taken' by much of the old 66 and subsequently dodged on and off it so I guess we don't really get a tee shirt but it remains a great piece of history to experience. - Bob

I did parts of it in 1971 on four wheels, there was a lot more of the old road then since only a small percentage of the interstate was completed in the western states. Plenty of other very fine two lanes at the time as well.

I rode a section between St. Louis and central Oklahoma. For the most part it was really boring other than a few gems like these.

556133_3969450880821_1821640938_n.jpg

582191_3969467961248_2143318520_n.jpg

When I get stationed in California I'd really like to explore as much of the western part of it as I can.

It will be hot!

But with evaporative vest and lots of water to stay hydrated it is rather enjoyable. Better than snow and ice! Ride safe.

Evaporation vest it is. Does anyone have a recommended brand. I saw something on the web called an "Eskimo" (or something like that) that pumps cold wather thru the vest. Do the soak and wring out models work well enough for Needles and Sedona in August?

Evap vests will work in low humid conditions. Not in the midwest/south, but very well in the So West. At Sedona, your are still in some altitude and should not have too much of an issue. Needles is another story. It gets very hot there, and it would not be a bad idea to stop early for the day there and depart very early in the morning to cross the desert to Barstow and down to LA if you are concerned with the heat. Otherwise, follow the old road (66) that you on and off the interstate all the way to Barstow.

bob

Here is what I remember the most

I did some of route 66 back in the 70's. I stopped in Needles and a guy told me to take two gallons of water if I was going to and thru Barstow. That guy probably saved my life, cause I drank those two gallons of water and needed every bit of it. So, now you got those evapo vests, and hydro water packs to put on your back; I would do both and take two gallons of water.:drink

DW

Be sure to follow the old 66 through the small towns along the way. For example, it's faster to bypass Tucumcari, NM, but if you take the exit, you get to see some classics like the Blue Swallow Motel which was built in the early days of the route and is still in operation. The rooms are quite small by today's standards, but clean and well-kept. It depends on whether you want to go fast and just say that you rode the route or you want to see some of the history, but for me, the small towns are a lot of fun to see.

Be sure to follow the old 66 through the small towns along the way. For example, it's faster to bypass Tucumcari, NM, but if you take the exit, you get to see some classics like the Blue Swallow Motel which was built in the early days of the route and is still in operation. The rooms are quite small by today's standards, but clean and well-kept. It depends on whether you want to go fast and just say that you rode the route or you want to see some of the history, but for me, the small towns are a lot of fun to see.

Isn't the Blue Swallow the hotel that has a room designed to garage your bike as well?

Az66

AZ has the best left of US66, imo. I ride it frequently, all year too. Couple favorites are SeligmanAZ and OatmanAZ. WlliamsAZ too. Most of the AZ US66 is decent enough, not hot until you descend into NeedlesCA and the Colorado River. My preference there is very early morning or night only(Summer). I get caught in the Mojave on occasion, riding midday and its doable, with knowledge of desert riding. Not real comfy though. The Kingman to Barstow is a stretch, a long day if sightseeing US66(200+miles). A neat ride, all of AZ., western CA.. The US66 roads are fairly well kept, with some of the roughest sections in CA..Be prepared for winds in the Mojave parts, as it can blow out there. Randy

Back