• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

what to look for.

I am going to look at a 01 1150gs and I don't have much time to do a search for issues with these bikes. I am hoping some one can give me some heads up on problem areas to look at.

Have had time to do a search on here and the ADV. forum and I think I have a good idea of the maintenance areas to look for. Thanks.

Knowing what to look for & finding it out are two very different things as you will soon see. Unless that 01 bike has been in the same hands for a good while you will unlikely know much of the bikes history. If it has been owned by few owners then you are faced with the bikes present condition which may also be an unknown,e.g.,whats the compression? Most owners simply don't know these things. A dealer might do such an appraisal prior to re-selling a bike,esp. if a higher miles bike that they need to verify for resale but not a private owner. If it has been trouble free based on low miles (you don't say) regular maintenance(or not) may be the only thing you'll learn . If you post particulars, only then can you expect reactions to specific concerns.
"What to look" for is a large place to go & not easily gained via a web search. Good luck.

I am going to look at a 01 1150gs and I don't have much time to do a search for issues with these bikes. I am hoping some one can give me some heads up on problem areas to look at.

I bought my R1150R used. Looking back I wished I would have asked about the oil usage... does it still use oil? If so, how about much per 1K miles? If not, have you changed to synthetic?

I don't have problems with my bike... that's just something I failed to ask about.

Granted the person can lie about it... but if you buy the bike you can compare it yourself to what the person told you. Sort of a "warm fuzzy" check... among other things.

Cheers,

Back