Thread: what to look for.

what to look for.

I am going to look at a 01 1150gs and I don't have much time to do a search for issues with these bikes. I am hoping some one can give me some heads up on problem areas to look at.

Post your location in the profile you might get some expert eyes and ears. Worth a shot..
    Other than that.....Google.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786568
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote

Have had time to do a search on here and the ADV. forum and I think I have a good idea of the maintenance areas to look for. Thanks.

Knowing what to look for & finding it out are two very different things as you will soon see. Unless that 01 bike has been in the same hands for a good while you will unlikely know much of the bikes history. If it has been owned by few owners then you are faced with the bikes present condition which may also be an unknown,e.g.,whats the compression? Most owners simply don't know these things. A dealer might do such an appraisal prior to re-selling a bike,esp. if a higher miles bike that they need to verify for resale but not a private owner. If it has been trouble free based on low miles (you don't say) regular maintenance(or not) may be the only thing you'll learn . If you post particulars, only then can you expect reactions to specific concerns.
    "What to look" for is a large place to go & not easily gained via a web search. Good luck.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerz View Post
    I am going to look at a 01 1150gs and I don't have much time to do a search for issues with these bikes. I am hoping some one can give me some heads up on problem areas to look at.
    I bought my R1150R used. Looking back I wished I would have asked about the oil usage... does it still use oil? If so, how about much per 1K miles? If not, have you changed to synthetic?

I don't have problems with my bike... that's just something I failed to ask about.

Granted the person can lie about it... but if you buy the bike you can compare it yourself to what the person told you. Sort of a "warm fuzzy" check... among other things.

Cheers,
    Jim

'04 R1150R Rockster (Black/Orange)
    Recent studies have shown that tall people can reach things.