• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

94 K75s Printed Circuit Board

roofertoo

I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience at replacing the printed circuit board on the K bikes or where I might find one. Mine is intermittent, with the lights in the dash coming on and then when I hit a bump they go out...

This diagnosis was made at the dealership. Any pictures or diagrams would be gratefully appreciated...

Thanks in advance... Steve

I hate to be dude who says "Have you googled this," but....

Check here and scroll down to "Instrument Cluster": http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml

Short version: Instrument cluster issues are most commonly a fault of the connector to the wiring harness, or moisture causing failures due to corrosion on internal components. Problems are often fixed by thoroughly cleaning the main connector and applying Stabilant 22 or Deoxit Gold, which are contact cleaners *and connection enhancers*. (I.e. they actively promote a good connection, rather than just cleaning crud off.)

Yes, you can replace parts inside, but it's best to know which one has failed, as finding the particular item you need can be time-consuming and expensive. The cluster was changed around 1991, so you probably want to stick with later ones as parts sources.

And the bad news is, if you're having some failures now, you'll have more soon.

Steve,

As James said, it's most likely the main connector not making good contact. Cleaning and a slight twist (less than 1/8 turn) of the pins should take care of it. I'll hopefully get back to you later today with the specific pin that controls the lights. I know it's a pain in the ass to get to the back of the cluster on an S.

UNLESS you are also having the headlight go out and/or having starting problems. That would be caused by dirty starter brushes.

I really doubt it's the circuit board unless someone has been in there and screwed it up. How much did the dealer charge you to diagnose the problem? I doubt they even took it apart. Just gave you a WAG.

:dance:dance:dance

Hi Lee, and James,

Thanks for the input.. I should have clarified the dealer said it was a delaminated circuit board... I still have lights in the cluster from zero to about 50 and then ever now and then the whole board lights up and then on the next bump back to just the limited lighting.... and no I wont' tell how much they charged me to not fix it..:deal

A friend and I did take the cluster off a few years ago and put new led lights in and everything worked except the area on the speedo from about 60 to 130... the tac was well lit until a few months ago....

Help in your area

Go to Motobrick.com and talk to "frankenduck" who's a K-bike guru in Seattle with a good supply of parts as well.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

Hi Lee, and James,

Thanks for the input.. I should have clarified the dealer said it was a delaminated circuit board... I still have lights in the cluster from zero to about 50 and then ever now and then the whole board lights up and then on the next bump back to just the limited lighting.... and no I wont' tell how much they charged me to not fix it..:deal

A friend and I did take the cluster off a few years ago and put new led lights in and everything worked except the area on the speedo from about 60 to 130... the tac was well lit until a few months ago....

If only one or two of the general illumination lights (the green ones, I think you mean) are out, then it's not the connector. If that's the case, you're at the point of needing to take it off and open it up to see what's going on, and which part(s) you may need.

I bet you a dollar nothing is "delaminated," though. IIRC the green bulbs (bulbs with green covers, really) make contact by pressing through a film which has exposed contacts on either side of the bulb-holder's mounting hole.

If you do need internal parts, I just saw this pop up on eBay today. The price is relatively attractive, if it has a good version of whatever you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-BMW-K1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac15ab192&vxp=mtr

Back