• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bings, Bings Bings.

Roguetek

I'm looking for a good resource to figure out what is what. I've got about a dozen carb bodies, all in a pile, and I need to figure out which ones go with each other.

Where can I find a resource for identifying the various bodies, and getting some idea of what they're supposed to go to.

sure, but that doesn't tell me what bike that carb goes on. that's more of what I'm looking for...

XX/XX/XX - meant for year/type/displacement

is the sort of thing I'm looking for.

but this is useful, thank you.

there are 3 variations of Bing CV carbs. the earliest have 4 screws for the domes. Then there are flat-tops known to be fitted to late 70's-800's. They have 2 screws that hold down stamped tops. Later yet versions are domed tops like the earliest carbs, but with 2 screws for the domes like the flat-tops.

The earlier, 4 screw carbs have I.D. plates riveted to the bodies. 64-32-9 and 10 are for 750s. 64-32 11 and 12 are for 900's.

On carburetors that do not have I.D. plates, the coded numbers are etched into the carb bodies on casting webs on the sides that might be described as "inboard" when installed on the motor.

The afore mentioned Bing Manual will be helpful to make specific differentiations. The functional differences are jetting, and the profile of the throttle slide for any given motor.

I hope this helps.

Another thing,...
The 32 in the codes indicates 32 mm carb throats. Some airheads had 40mm carbs. It would follow that the 32 would be 40 on those carbs. You might be able to eye-ball the 40mm carb bodies.

And another thing....

The 64 in the carb code refers to Type64 vacuum carbs. If you find carbs that are stamped 53/xx/xx those are earlier Type 53 mechanical carbs typically fitted on 500cc and 600cc motors. They are entirely different from Type 64's.

The Bing book has all that info. When I came to visit you a month or so ago, I meant to bring my book so we could sort through that. Make a list of the carb numbers and send me an email. I'll send it back to you with what the Bing book says. After that, you can go to Phil Hawksley's site and confirm some of the entries:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/bmwmodels.htm

Carb numbers are listed for each model, but you have to click on each model to find out what they are.

Back