• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to carry extra fuel?

Seriously, is this extra fuel really needed? Where are you folks going( I remember an "on hwy stretch" in ID that was over 200 miles & another from Bella Coola , B.C. that was 400+k with no gas ) that has no fuel-aside from deep into the desert?:brow

In the western states it's a lot easier to get caught out without gas especially on a bike like the F800 that will only make 200 miles on a tank if you are getting decent mileage. Some of these back country stores close earlyish and shut down their pumps. It's not like back east where there seemed to be a gas station every few hundred yards. Even in Texas I can't remember driving more than 50 miles without seeing a gas station unless you were in far west Texas.

Here's what I did on my k75s

Primus fuel bottles inside..I carry one other inside a bag....gives me right at an extra gallon. Yup, I got lots of tools and spares in the other bag. But, guess what? I've never run out of gas or broken down on the road.

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,483
  • IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,536
  • IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,478
Made mine:)

Using the right side passenger foot peg, I made an iron rack out of rebar and flat steel plate to make a rack that holds my 1.5 gallon red gas can there on the foot peg:). Its not permanent, so I use VERY strong zip ties(the really big tough ones) and strap the rack in place around foot peg and GSA frame. Its a trick setup, looks nice and saddlebag actually protects the gas can, IF a fall occurs, the gas can won't hit first:). Turns out the balance is perfect, opposite side of heavy muffler. I usually will dispense the gas AS SOON as the tank will allow it to come inside!(first 75 miles or so.) Just don't want to carry gas all day outside of the main tank. Sorry for the no pics:(, but you get the idea, right foot peg gets used as a solo rider. Randy

Don't carry it in the left bag. I've heard of the left bag of the K1200GT/RS dropping down onto the muffler and catching fire.

That's not what happened in this case, but the bag did catch fire.
DSC01150_Custom_.JPG

Probably looked like Ghost Rider while flying down the road

Back