• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How to carry extra fuel?

txmxrider

What kind of container do you use to carry extra fuel and how do you carry it? A 1 gal jug strapped to the luggage rack is practical but looks kind of cheesy. I have a K1200GT so I need something that I can either strap to the luggage rack or carry in the saddlebags. Sporting goods stores sell small metal cylinders for camp stove fuel. Something like that seems good except they don't hold much. I'd like to carry about 2 liters, so I'm thinking two 1-liter containers would be good. I'm sure there are lot of adventure riders and long distance riders here who routinely carry extra fuel and I'd like to hear your wisdom on the subject. If you have a photo of your set-up, that would be even better!

Thanks!

MSR Fuel bottles is what I used to use. They are pretty small though but that little bit of extra fuel could help.

I'd suggest Rotopax also. They are toiugh and leak proof and are easier to pack cause they are flat.

I re use Nalgene bottles that my organic chemicals come in. Very sturdy and great caps that don't leak. Course it helps that I teach chemistry to ge pt them free.

MSR Fuel bottles is what I used to use. They are pretty small though but that little bit of extra fuel could help.

I'd suggest Rotopax also. They are toiugh and leak proof and are easier to pack cause they are flat.

+1 MSR fuel tanks come in 1 liter sizes. Two will get you what you want. It's what I have attached to the back of my aluminum panniers. For a gallon (or more) the Rotopax is great. I use a white Rotopax on the luggage rack for carrying water to unimproved camp sites.

An easy way to carry MSR fuel bottles is to purchase a bicycle water bottle cage to bolt onto (or even inside) your side cases.

In the past I have built a carrier system similar to the Zega system Tourtech sells. It was an inexpensive and practical solution and fun project. I have no experience with rotopax system but it looks like a more elegant solution to the question.

I have a K1200GT so I need something that I can either strap to the luggage rack or carry in the saddlebags.
Don't carry it in the left bag. I've heard of the left bag of the K1200GT/RS dropping down onto the muffler and catching fire.

That's not what happened in this case, but the bag did catch fire.
DSC01150_Custom_.JPG

Last edited:
Don't carry it in the left bag. I've heard of the left bag of the K1200GT/RS dropping down onto the muffler and catching fire.

That's not what happened in this case, but the bag did catch fire.
DSC01150_Custom_.JPG

Holy crap! I'll bet that was exciting. So how did that happen?

Thanks to all who responded! I appreciate your thoughts. I'll spend some time looking at the options and see what suits best. If I had an adventure bike a pair of the Rotopax looks like the ideal setup. But with my bike, I don't have a way to mount it permanently and not too sure that I would if I could. Leaning toward the 1.5 liter Primus fuel bottle at the moment. $26 and I can stash it just about anywhere EXCEPT the left saddlebag.

BMW insists on building bikes with very high exhausts for some reason. then neuter one bag to make room for the exhaust can. make packing interesting trying to get your weight equaled out between two bags that are unequal sizes.

+1 on the MSR fuel bottle. Can use it for stove also. Sigg and others make similar bottles.

You even could use a stainless steel Klean Kanteen water bottle or a cheap copy if needed.

BTW, HFT has orange canisters to put welding rods in. You could mount on of those on the bike and put your fuel bottle in it.

Holy crap! I'll bet that was exciting. So how did that happen?

I wasn't there so can't say for sure. The rider was able to stop without getting hurt and there happened to be someone nearby with a fire extinguisher.

When I ran the 2012 Scooter Cannonball Run I used a 2 gallon Tour Tank on the back of my 67 Vespa

http://tourtank.com/

imagesCAIK6R60.jpg

They make many different styles. I included a rollover valve...just in case...I mean...running off the road is one thing but catching on fire can ruin a day.

yukon.jpg

luftmeister aux. tanks,about a gallon each,full of explosafe used in nascar tanks,made out of aluminum.Been using them for years. Good luck finding these in pristine condition like mine!

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,692
Last edited:
Hmm those are a really good idea. My Pax pegs never get used anyway.

There is soon to be available for the F800GS and F650GS another option.

The Camel Tank

It is being developed by a fellow I know locally and he expects to have it in production and available in a few months. The photos are of the test fitting (to my F800GS) of the mock-up made to the final dimensions.

Wow that thing is impressive. And IIRC the thread said it was going to be sub 500 dollars :bow

Back