• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EMT recommendations for medical info on thumbnail drive

Rpbump

Rpbump USN RET CPO
What specific info should a rider place on a thumbnail drive for use by EMT personnel in case of an accident?

RIDE SAFE

The EMT's I've talked to said they would never look for something like that. They MIGHT look for a medical alert bracelet but they said they'd be too busy with other stuff to worry about a random thumb drive or to dig though your wallet for any possible cards.

I wear mine on my helmet but even that probably wouldn't get looked at in a bad wreck

I put one on the front of the helmet that says "IF INJURED DO NOT REMOVED HELMET"

Then on the side I have

NAME
DOB
BLOOD TYPE
"NKMA/NKDA"

I actually have my blood type in few different spots on me.

Edit- Here's one of my old helmets

168697_1808699703392_2486692_n.jpg

167781_1808700063401_874757_n.jpg

But again I was told that the EMTs won't be looking for this stuff on you. They are concerned with your immediate medical needs.

RoadID

I ride both bicycles and motorcycles. Whenever I'm out, especially alone, I wear a RoadID wrist strap. They are available either with info engraved right on the plate, or with an 800 number and web address. I have the latter and keep my info up to date.

More info at:
http://www.roadid.com/

Here's my thoughts as a former paramedic... placing any important medical info on a thumb drive may not be the best solution since it is extremely doubtful that any EMS provider would either have the 1) time or 2) ability to gather your info from one while in the field. This could be a viable solution to provide your medical history once you're stabilized in a hospital, provided the USB device goes with you to the ER and is found by the medical staff.

I like the idea of putting medical info on your helmet. Even if you're helmet flies off, there's a good chance that the EMS providers will make an attempt to find it in order to determine the mechanism/extend of injury to your head. A destroyed helmet is usually a good indicator that the rider should have an advanced life support ride to the ER, as there is a higher chance of closed head injuries and other unseen internal trauma.

I also like the wristband idea, as long as the info is engraved on the plate and doesn't require logging onto a website or calling an 800 number. Again, if there's something that you want the EMS providers to know within the first few minutes of an incident, make it stand out and easy to find (i.e. like your throats going to swell up like a blowfish because you have a severe latex allergy).

Name, DOB, NKDA/NKMA ("No Known Drug/Medication Allergies") and blood type are all great to have readily available. I'd also try to have the name and phone numbers for an emergency contact somewhere readily accessible too.

Ride safe & try to not test these ideas :thumb

Back