• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Lifting an Oil head

Anyone ever lifted an oilhead using a 'jack' type lift? I know it would lift by way of the engine, but I think it would be less stressful than normal riding,particularly like the GS guys going off road.

WhachoutalkinboutWillis?

Willis?....anyway. I mean the jack type lifts, normally used on H/Ds & cruisers. But placing the pads on the engine.

I have a Handy drive-on...but my KLT project is on it currently , and I want to do some wheel stuff to my Roadster, so I;m going to try my other lift/jack.

You are fine supporting the bike from underneath the engine on a large pad, just make sure you have the bike secured so you don't tip it as you remove the wheels. Along those lines, put wood blocks, a paint can or something else under the opposite end of the bike from the tire you are removing to make sure the bike tip forward or backward.

When I was disassembling my '96 parts bike, I had it on the center stand with the front wheel and a bunch of other parts removed. The bike was leaning back with a wood block under the FD. I removed the rear wheel and the bike promptly tipped forward, gained forward speed as the center stand folded up, and landed square on the engine case. There was no damage aside from a few scuffs on the case, but it was fun to lift back up. Given what I did, your lift shouldn't cause any damage and will be much more secure than my mistake.

and here is your answer to "Willis?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrjLVSapII

You are fine supporting the bike from underneath the engine on a large pad, just make sure you have the bike secured so you don't tip it as you remove the wheels. Along those lines, put wood blocks, a paint can or something else under the opposite end of the bike from the tire you are removing to make sure the bike tip forward or backward.

When I was disassembling my '96 parts bike, I had it on the center stand with the front wheel and a bunch of other parts removed. The bike was leaning back with a wood block under the FD. I removed the rear wheel and the bike promptly tipped forward, gained forward speed as the center stand folded up, and landed square on the engine case. There was no damage aside from a few scuffs on the case, but it was fun to lift back up. Given what I did, your lift shouldn't cause any damage and will be much more secure than my mistake.

and here is your answer to "Willis?"***
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrjLVSapII

**** LOL!

Thanks, and yes i am aware of the tipping and will be careful of it.

Ron

When I lift my R1100RT to take the wheels off for tire replacement, I put the bike on the center stand with a 2' board underneath to get it a little higher and then use a pit stand on the front end. This has the bike stand pretty stable and both wheels come off easy.

I use that type of jack on my 2002 r1150rs every year when I put my bike away for the winter I use the jack to move and rotate the bike against the rear wall in my garage does the lift no problem. How ever I dont think I would use it to work on the bike id like more stability when I remove the wheels. Herman

+1 Harbor Freight

If you don't want to spend $300 for a lift, Harbor Freight also has a rolling ATV/Motorcycle jack for $89.99 until 2/28/13.

Back