• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

First Aide Kit

Mine rides in one pocket of my tankbag and includes the following

1x medical shears
1x Kerlix Gauze
1x Israeli bandage
1x Quick Clot Gauze
1x Sharpie
1x Tourniquet
Then various little things like chapstick, Motrin, Imodium tabs and Benedryl. Doesn't take up a lot of space and will allow you to save someones life by buying them enough time for the pros to show up.[/QUOTE]

+1 on this list. Very similar to mine. You have to think about what kinds of injuries you might have to deal with, what your abilities are, and how long before help arrives. Most people carry far too many band-aids. Space is precious, so what is going to keep someone alive is my first thought. If going off pavement I would also add a few triangle bandages to the mix. You might have to do a partial evacuation and need to immobilize something.

As a retired medic, I do not recommend that you keep personal medication in your first aid kit. In an emergency, many people will grab your kit and you never see it again. Your Rx is in the hands of a complete stranger. Not good. Ideally, you should use the victims first aid kit first.

Get training before you buy a first aid kit. You will have a better idea of what you need. Try your local Red Cross chapter. Many of them also offer simple kits in real nifty cases. I would also recommend training in auto extrication. You should be able to get that from your local two year college if they offer an EMT program. It also may be offered through your local fire department. Another route for first aid training is to take a CERT course. Normally the classes are free or close to it. Lots of fun too.

For a kit, try one of the new military individual first aid kits. Google "IFAK" and see what comes up. Keep in mind that each branch of the military has a different IFAK. The nylon IFAK case is a good place to start if you want to build a small kit.

Stat Packs also makes nice gear, including a safety vest with pockets for medical gear. Most of their gear will be bigger than you think you need, but still worth looking at.

As a retired medic, I do not recommend that you keep personal medication in your first aid kit. In an emergency, many people will grab your kit and you never see it again. Your Rx is in the hands of a complete stranger. Not good. Ideally, you should use the victims first aid kit first.

Get training before you buy a first aid kit. You will have a better idea of what you need. Try your local Red Cross chapter. Many of them also offer simple kits in real nifty cases. I would also recommend training in auto extrication. You should be able to get that from your local two year college if they offer an EMT program. It also may be offered through your local fire department. Another route for first aid training is to take a CERT course. Normally the classes are free or close to it. Lots of fun too.

For a kit, try one of the new military individual first aid kits. Google "IFAK" and see what comes up. Keep in mind that each branch of the military has a different IFAK. The nylon IFAK case is a good place to start if you want to build a small kit.

Stat Packs also makes nice gear, including a safety vest with pockets for medical gear. Most of their gear will be bigger than you think you need, but still worth looking at.

+1. I'm a former civilian paramedic also and have seen a lot of people spend A LOT of money on IFAKs and have no clue how to correctly and safely use most of the contents. Training is a must. Not only will you learn valuable skills, you'll help to develop a first responder mindset, which will help you remain calm and focused during a critical incident. Plus, first aid training is great for everyday life, not just motorcycling.

In case of a mental crash, the first aid kit is a great place to hide a spare ignition key.
Sam, 08 GS

As others have said, what you carry is only useful if you know how to use it. As a former military PA my choices might be a bit different than yours. Whatever you get, practice with it. (This is a lot easier with an uninjured person!) Get good with what you have. You'll discover that some items, like triangular bandages, are surprisingly versatile.

Pete

I recently attended and recommend "A Crash Course for the Motorcyclist" offered by Accident Scene Management Instititue (ASMI)/Road Guardians http://roadguardians.org/ Their courses teach you what to do at a motorcycle accident. These courses were developed and are taught by experienced emergency medical personnal and motorcyclists and are endorsed and supported by Wisconsin DOT, MSF, NHTSA and others. In addition to offering training courses, ASMI sells trauma kits and a complete range of first aid and accident scene and traffic control equipment.

Back