• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

First Aide Kit

Sorry, no advice at this time. I've been thinking about the same issue, so I'm interested in the solutions other riders have.

Aerostich has an assortment of first aid kits. Prices run from $18 to $60 for the "Survival Kit". Check the lists of contents and add what you feel you need. I have a kit from Aerostich that they no longer show and it has proven useful for a few events. I always add a small quantity of personal medications and some extra Band-aids (can never have too many). It's important to replace the contents of a kit periodically as the stuff gets out-of-date.

pete

I bought a basic First Aid kit at a local store, took it home, opened it up and analyzed the contents. I then added things that I thought would be good additions for basic emergency trauma treatment. More gauze, gauze pads, lots more tape. More band aids of course - large and small. It already had scissors, small splints, etc. A small tube of petroleum jelly and antibiotic ointment are good additions if not already there. Spend a couple of minutes staring at your medicine cabinet.... it will spur you imagination. Think about how you would treat different types of wounds, abrasions, etc. I don't think I have anything to treat a burn... I may have to add another small tube of sumthin. Topical spray antihistamine is good, tablets too. Some of these things I already carry in my normal travel kit.

First Aide Kits

Try adventuremedicalkits dot com. I carry their Ultralight/watertight kit. (The small one) and I add a few things to it like additional band aids etc. they are available on ebay, amazon etc as well... I keep essentials like sunscreen and advil in the tank bag.

I'm looking to purchase a ready-made first aide kit to carry on my RT. What advice can you share?

BMW kit as a recipe

I read the contents of the BMW kit and put together my own from that.
Most of the things were already in the house (and paid for). My daughter
made a pouch that I put them in. I review what's in it each year to see if
I still think it works and so I remember what's there.

Do you have any medical training?

I carry my own pieced together medical kit on the bike but also have an Adventure Medical Trauma Kit.

I suggest if you don't have any training to get some first. Don't get too caught up on fancy stuff and the hemostatic agents. They are useful but nothing beats a good roll of gauze.

Mine rides in one pocket of my tankbag and includes the following

1x medical shears
1x Kerlix Gauze
1x Israeli bandage
1x Quick Clot Gauze
1x Sharpie
1x Tourniquet
Then various little things like chapstick, Motrin, Imodium tabs and Benedryl. Doesn't take up a lot of space and will allow you to save someones life by buying them enough time for the pros to show up.

I bought a cheap first aid kit at Harbor Freight, mostly because it was a soft ziper close type of bag, fits in the side bag nicely. I added better quality items as needed, add bandaides and change out the ointments each spring, as it is in the pannier all the time and I would imagine extreme temps change the healing properties of some items.

I had first aid in Boy Scouts, again when I worked in a Psych Hospital, again when on the company safety commitee, and every year our local club has a winter Tech/Safety Day that we have a local EMT come in and give an hour talk on accident scene management and basic first aid. I'm no medic, but hopefully I know enough to not cause further damage. I tend to use the kit more when just working in the garage at home because it is close and handy. I hate having to explain to the wife why I am bleeding on the floor as I look for the house first aid kit.......:whistle:whistle

This is always a tuff question to answer depending upon the amount of space one wants to dedicate to a First Aide kit? Also part of the equation is your medical expertise and what you feel comfortable treating? I had a long carreer in the Fire Service with a lot of training and a fair amount of experience. Most people have not had a basic First Aide class.

A small premade kit is a good start. Then I throw away what I feel is useless and add what I think is important. Everyone that has responded to this thread has some great ideas. Downs idea of a first aide kit is pretty close to my own. With his list of over the counter meds, I also have aspirin. It can help with a cardiac related issue when help is not immediately available. I also have a few large bleed pads. I hate seeing blood. So I have the big pads to help stop the big bleed and make it so I cant see it! A roll of self adhearing athletic tape has many great bandaging uses.

If you build your own kit, soft or hard sided fishing tackle boxes can work great for holding and organizing the contents of your kit. They are fairly inexpensive and offer a lot of options.

I am glad someone asked the question? Better yet was all the great kits people have put together or purchased. How many times have you cut your finger and just wanted a band aid? Nice to know that a few folks might have one available!

Years ago someone told me they carried Anbesol (sp), the numbing agent to toothaches, to treat roadrash. Knock wood, I've never used it for that, but it has come in handy for a toothache on the road.

first aide kits

Aerostich has a few pretty good basic kits but you should always add to a kit depending on what kind of riding you are doing. (neosporin, insect sting stuff, lots of band aides for blusters, cuts, etc. good pair of tweezers for splinters, etc., - good start on items. I had a really good kit for my charter boat but I had to downsize for the bike. I feel a first aid class is really important. Maybe your club or just a group of interested riders could ask an EMT to help out by doing a little seminar. Most of these individuals would be happy to accommodate.

For me the easiest way was to get the same medical kit I have on my boat. I got it from westmarine.com they have several sizes. What I do like about them is they have a simple to read first aid card with each packet.

As for training ...

... I can put a band-aid on myself but if I'm more seriously injured I'd think someone else would be taking care of me. My contribution will be to tell them how to find my first aid kit. In the old days, Airheads had decals showing the location, i.e. an arrow to the button for raising the seat. I'm considering something of the sort on my RT's "glovebox."

FWIW one thing I carry in addition to the red kit from Wunderlich is an Epi-pen, as I once had a bit of a reaction when I was stung when a bee got into my jacket. Dr. said it could be worse next time. I have to admit I'll have to read the directions when/if it happens.

I do little to no solo riding, but not so sure I'll "inventory" the medical skills in any group I happen to go riding with. Wife/girlfriend seems a better bet, especially if she rides her own bike.

Over all I'd think it all fairly academic, but it sure can't hurt to have some sort of kit along.

First aid kit

fwiw- I firmly believe that a first aid kit IS important to have, even if it is a basic kit. Usually use it each trip, either for myself for a little cut or others in the group. I also carry a medical card in my billfold stating blood type, contact people with phone numbers, etc. I have been riding for more than 45 years and what I carry is based on experience and past need. Again, FWIW.

Have a soft sided military first aid kit
Added a few things to it
1 couple packs of Quick Clot
2 Benedryl. Handy for insect stings
3 Cayenne Pepper 1oz. Believe it or not great to stop bleeding from road rash, American Indians have used it for hundreds of years, their is no pain from it and it clots surface abrasions
4 Aleve

There is a company called Campmor that has camping and hiking supplies that sells several first aid kits of different sizes and price ranges. You can pick the one that best suits your needs and pocketbook. You can find them at campmor.com, I've bought lots of things from them over the years and they do a good job. Jerry

first aid kit

Didn't know about the cayenne pepper. Interesting and will add it to my kit. Also ++ for camphor.com I also have ordered many things from them. Good folks to do business with. Thanks for the info.

First aide kits

I have always carried a first aide kit. I feel better knowing it is there! I also put a sticker on the outside of the pannier indicating that it contains a first aide kit. A number of the contents expire and need replacing on an annual basis. I bought a commercial sized kit online and am stripping it to supply a smaller one for the bike. Buying a large kit and stripping it was cheaper than a small kit that needs more things added.

Back