• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

For amusement purposes only.

Roguetek

I got tired of busting my ass, and rolling around on the ground when working on bikes, so I -finally- broke down and bought a motorcycle lift. one of the 350$ ones from harbor freight.

I got it home, but then discovered I could not get it from the van, to the shop. How was I ever going to get this thing moved... my eye landed on my pig, a 1980 HD FXE1200... and an idea formed..

And some rope, and I was off to the races!

20130208_140948-1.jpg

And away I went, towing my new lift, crate and all, behind me!

20130208_141017-1.jpg

Getting it into the shop, however, posed a problem.... we needed to figure out a way to move the lift -into- the shop....

20130208_155722-1.jpg

A winch, a genset with a 12VDC leg, and some sheetrock screws.

resulted in this....

20130208_165719-1.jpg

Which, FINALLY! gave me this...

20130208_170313-1.jpg

Looks good. Like the way it came together. How do you like it BTW?

Frankly, by the time I was done getting it in, and set up, I was done for the day. it seems nice, but I wont be able to give a good report until I've actually used it. which will be tomorrow.

That reminds me...I have a coupon for one of those that expires pretty soon. Guess I need to head down to HF pretty soon. I have a 3/4 ton pickup...I hope that'll be enough truck. :)

It Lifted Me!

Roguetek,

The only downside to a lift is that it just spoils the hell out of you. I've got MBD (Multiple Bike Disease), and sometimes don't want to take a bike OFF to put another one ON the ONE lift I have if it's just for a smaller, quick job. It takes me about two days to recover my full body movement after crunching up on the concrete floor. OUCH!

I may need two lifts. . .maybe three. . .

You'll never go back, and your back will thank you. For those out there pondering such a purchase: Go for it. Life-altering event.

Love those old Lincolns. You don't lack for projects, eh?

Walking Eagle

hahaha that was good. i love my new HF lift also. had to rent a truck from home depot, the guy at HF loaded the box with a fork lift, but when i got back to the house i had to man-handle that SOB off the truck myself. slid it out part-way, tipped it up on its end, jumped off the truck and did a sort of reverse deadlift to gently lower the other end to the ground. fortunately i was right outside my garage.

best tool-related purchase i have made in a long time.

Just picked up the Harbor Freight 1000 lb. lift for $299. Found a coupon in one of the motorcycle mags. I already have a very nice Handy 1,000 pound air lift, but like someone stated above, I have a couple of projects going on so I needed to have two lifts. For $299, it's pretty hard to beat.

For $299, it's pretty hard to beat.

Considering that I paid $35.00 for a sheet of 1/4" steel 2' x 4' that weighed 60 lbs @ $.55 lb. from the steel warehouse scrap bin, Having a fully fabricated and working lift for that price is a good deal!

Back