• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Using OEM horn leads as relay trigger ('06 1200GS)

bobframe

I'm progressing on my Stebel horn install and have a bit of a head scratcher. The bike is a 2006 R1200GS.

I plan to use the OEM horn leads as the trigger for the relay I'm installing. I suppose I could clip off the OEM plug that was originally used to connect to the OEM horn, but that leaves me no elegant way to retreat to the OEM horn should that become necessary. I'm all about leaving myself (and the next owner??) options.

I could also use a couple of Posi-taps to splice in some new leads to connect the OEM wiring to my relay. This would allow me to leave the OEM plug in place (I GUESS THIS IS RIGHT??) and simply unscrew the Positaps if I wanted to retreat. But its a funky look and not what I'd consider the "elegant solution".

What I'd like to do is find a complementary plug to the OEM horn plug that has two wires coming out the back of it. So, I could connect the two plugs (elegant) and then splice the relay trigger wires into these new leads. Elegant.

I did something like this for my GPS installation using the OEM GPS aux port up near the front forks...very clean install and easy to disconnect for whatever reason (like the GPS has to be replaced).

Problem: Where do I find such a plug? My BMW dealer parts guy is efforting this now, but I have a feeling I may not hear back from him.

Suggestions??

Many thanks,

Bob

I faced this a few years ago when I added a second horn to my R12R. Because the system can tolerate the load of two horns - it's the same as that on the early R12RT which had two - I didn't add a relay, and just cut into the stock wiring. Works fine.

However, I did find that a replacement plug was available from BMW. This page: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=0398&mospid=51804&hg=61&fg=13 shows plugs and connectors available for the R12R; the R horn connector is Item #9 in the third pane. If the RT is different, I'd look in realoem.com at the RT diagram.

Last edited:
The dealer came thru

Got a VM fro the dealer's parts guy...they had such a plug (and such a deal!). I'm going to use this to continue on from the OEM horn plug to my relay. Thanks for all your help.

Update: I bought the plug and spliced it into the trigger leads for the Stebel horn's relay switch. Worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Back