• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seat latch problem on 1982 R65

abates

I just got a 1982 R65 that has not been ridden since 98 and has been just sitting around rusting but appears to be salvageable. I have a manual on order, but until it gets here, does anyone know how to remove the seat without breaking something. The key turns (barely) but it won't unlatch. I suspect the mechanism is rusted but I can't see it. I've put the penetrating oil to it the best I could, but no luck yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

One of the tricks is to push the latch/button and push down hard on the seat above the latch area...maybe even whack it hard with your hand...or have someone sit on the bike and bounce while another person pushes the button.

Flooding the latch with thin penetrating oil (even if around the pushbutton is the only place) may also help.

The is the seat latch mechanism that BMW has used for years. If push comes to shove you can access that back side by removing your battery covers and remove cover #4 by removing screw #5. Once the cover is off the latch can be activated by pressing it with a screw driver.

B0001412.png

366-r90s-seat-lock-installed-1.jpg

R65 Stuck seat - success

Thanks for the replies. I've been busy dealing with nearly three feet of snow and repairing an old Ariens snowblower. The snow is cleared, the snowblower is repaired so I just went out and and opend the seat. The penetrating oil did its job plus the pounding on the seat and the picture of the mechanism were a big help. Chances are that before I am done with this project, I'll be asking for more help. Thanks again.

Multi-tool

I love it. Now, if he can just figure out a way to attach a chainsaw it would be perfect.

Back