• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canada Recall - New 2013 R1200GS (Wethead)

Better than the urine manufactured over here! :drink

Back when I bought my '97 R1100RT, somehow I became THE recipient for the recall notifications for their SUVs. I'd take a red marker and write on their form "I do not own this vehicle" and returned it to them; then I upped that to "I do not now and never did own this vehicle"; then I upped that to "I do not own this or ANY BMW SUV." It took almost two years for the notices to stop coming...

Maybe we can create a list of their models by year and see if every single one of them have had recalls. That would be good for a laugh!

I'm pretty opinionated when it comes to BMW NA/AG so you may want to speak with others and take what I have to say with a grain of salt if you feel it is appropriate.

I do think Japanese engineering is typically superior to the Germans as a general rule. However, Japanese vehicles lack soul and that is where BMW and a few of the Europeans bikes and cars seem to thrive. For those of us that can appreciate our wheels soul seems to be a powerful motivator in how much we like (love?) our wheels. And, there is something to be said for that.

My opinion is different. I think German engineering is superior, but production quality off the assembly line is higher for Japanese manufacturers.

Again, no data to prove or disprove.

We have purchased at least four 1st year bikes. My F650 was the first delivered to a customer in the U.S., a few days before the unveiling at the dealerships. I rode it 600 miles and took it back for the 1st service. Then we put mine on the floor at Engle Motors for folks to look at while the other one they had was for demo rides that unveiling Saturday. It was a fine bike.

Voni's 1994 titled R1100RS was one of the first load sent to the US. It was built in February of 1993 and we bought it in May of 1993 for Mother's Day. It is sitting outside our motel room here in Fallon, NV as I type with 364,000 miles on it and still running strong. It has been a good bike.

My venerable K75 (wrecked in 2005 with 370,000 miles) was a first year bike and was virtually trouble free except for routine maintenance, a couple of driveshafts, and a cooling fan motor.

My R1150R was a first year bike (I know it evolved from the 1100 with not huge changes) but at about 180,000 miles it has been trouble free.

So while generalizations about new models may be valid, individual bikes may differ vastly from those generalizations. Face it. There will always be new models and somebody will buy them or there won't be any second year bikes of thatmodel. That is what a warranty to cover defects in materials or workmanship is all about. And while I have never bought one there are always extended warranty insurance policies too.

They are machines. They will break. If that happens they get fixed. If in warranty by the dealer. If out of warranty by me. Then we ride them, and ride them some more.

My opinion is different. I think German engineering is superior, but production quality off the assembly line is higher for Japanese manufacturers.

Again, no data to prove or disprove.

Just because you have no data, doesn't mean you're wrong. :)

Just because you have no data, doesn't mean you're wrong. :)

If you're a manufacturer and you have recall after recall after recall after recall and then you're fined millions for your recall procedures what does that mean? You should be a recall pro by that point. You don't know how to build an assembly line that can assemble properly? I suppose it is always possible... Maybe the Japanese can provide assembly line assistance. Or, possibly Triumph. Their recall rate is exceptionally low as well.

After the OP's effort to inform riders this thread?s uniformed backfired carbon has been increasing post by post on all parts.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles

NHTSA's databases provide an in-depth record of Safety Issues for Vehicles, Child Restraints, Tires, and Equipment. Safety Issues include all safety recalls for your product as well as safety complaints other users have filed. You may also find any relevant service bulletins or NHTSA investigation documents.

The database can be searched back to 1949 as I post this. For example VW was the first and manufacturer listed with a complaint, investigation, service bulletin or recall, in 1949. With the exception of 1951 it appears every year since 1949.

Harley-Davidson was the first motorcycle manufacturer I notice in a quick tour of 62 years showing up in 1967 and every year since. Honda shows up in 1969 and beyond with the other Japanese manufacturers showing up on the list year after year shortly after that.

BMW makes it's first appearance in 1971, 1973 and 1975. In 1977 is begins to appear every subsequent year afterwards, much like every other motorcycle manufacturer selling motorcycles in the USA and subject to the NHTSA's system of oversight and reporting.

OH LETS ALL GO TO THE WAILING WALL AND WRING OUR HANDS AND CRY OUT IN ANGUISH

Horsepucky !

Historical data is there to be had, organized and used if you get your ample posteriors off those overstuffed saddles and do something with it.

I firmly believe problems exist and are under reported.

Learn how to fill out the bloody forms and use the system. You are paying for it. When you sue BMW or whomever your attorney will look to this database for information to support your case. Dumb motorcyclists like me look at this stuff and use the drill down to investigate bikes we own or are considering buying. Your report of a problem will help us.

There may be other constructive ways to use and improve the data but this thread and the backfired carbon it is spewing is not one of them.

If you don't have a constructive on topic for heaven's sake

i-wCzxmxv-S.png

In general I agree with your statement. I think German engineering is pretty good, but it is the design of the engines, suspensions, and overall package that make BMW's interesting for me. Most of these issues we are hearing about are quality control issues and related to pre-production and in production testing (or non-testing).

German engineering is a little misleading these days, especially since BMW outsources some of it's engine design, like the K1600 six cylinder which was designed by the Ricardo company.

http://www.ricardo.com/Documents/RQ pdf/RQ 2011/Q2/RQ_Q2_2011.pdf

I would not be surprised if the water head was designed by an external company also, maybe Ricardo again. I would also think that Ricardo would be somewhat embarrassed if one of their designs was failing due to quality control issues. A company like Ricardo does not want to be tied to a product that failed to sell to it's potential because of issues out of their control. They rely on a good resume of product success stories to sell their services.

In general I agree with your statement. I think German engineering is pretty good, but it is the design of the engines, suspensions, and overall package that make BMW's interesting for me. Most of these issues we are hearing about are quality control issues and related to pre-production and in production testing (or non-testing).

German engineering is a little misleading these days, especially since BMW outsources some of it's engine design, like the K1600 six cylinder which was designed by the Ricardo company.

I would not be surprised if the water head was designed by an external company also, maybe Ricardo again. I would also think that Ricardo would be somewhat embarrassed if one of their designs was failing due to quality control issues. A company like Ricardo does not want to be tied to a product that failed to sell to it's potential because of issues out of their control. They rely on a good resume of product success stories to sell their services.

Very interesting. I have never heard of this company and it is a pleasure to learn something so significant. Maybe they offer subscriptions? Gotta' check them out!

Thank you for writing!

The Ricardo company

Very fascinating company. For those that might be interested check out this web page:

http://www.ricardo.com/en-GB/Our-Ma...Transportation/Capabilities-and-Case-Studies/

Interesting...the newsletter also said that BMW had them update the four cyl engine in 2006 also. Wonder why they didn't redesign the cam chain? Or at least put in the cam chain anti-jump a tooth guard by the time the 1300 came out...maybe they were the ones that did advise it?

Back