• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Vintage Enduro bags

I have a project in mind of a vintage tourer...sorta. My question is, how roomy are the old Enduro bags, as seen on /2's for example?

I'm aware of the Corbin Beatle-Bag look-a-likes. But if I can put it all together? I'd rather have originals.

Thanks, Ron

Because the /2 shock towers run through the middle of them, they are a lot less roomy than they look, and harder things that you might want to pack low and in front won't fit there.

They also have a tendency to lose their lids.

Bags

I've had several different bags on my /2s. Although the Enduro bags may look good, they don't really hold a lot of stuff and the opening kind of restricts the size of what you pack in there. So with that in mind, if you want to be period correct, then a set of Craven bags will probably be a good choice. They come in different sizes so you should be able to find the right size to carry all the stuff that you need.
My second choice, again, being period correct, would be a set of Wixom bags. Top loaders with nice lines and a decent amount of cargo space.

Thanks for all the replies. Good ! information. I like the look of the Enduros, but if they're [not great] for the purpose ? I'll consider others.

Opinions please?....I have a decent set of the old Bates bags, functionally sound, need only cosmetics.

If I build my vintage?..tourer on say a /2 or even as new as a R90...would they be / look too big?

Ron

I had a set of Bates bags that came with my R69S. I needed something for a trip to Vech's rally in 2009. I built my own brackets and stabilized the top part with connection to a plywood sheet that attached to the rear fender rack...the plywood was the base for camping gear, etc. Here's a picture of my bike on the right. The bags were roomy and got me there and back. I don't run with them all the time...I supposed I'd reuse them if needed. I wasn't after asthetics...I just needed the storage space.

Attachments

• R69SBates.jpg
    R69SBates.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 73
I had a set of Bates bags that came with my R69S. I needed something for a trip to Vech's rally in 2009. I built my own brackets and stabilized the top part with connection to a plywood sheet that attached to the rear fender rack...the plywood was the base for camping gear, etc. Here's a picture of my bike on the right. The bags were roomy and got me there and back. I don't run with them all the time...I supposed I'd reuse them if needed. I wasn't after asthetics...I just needed the storage space.

Those don't look bad at all on there....

So then I have my bags, and my fairing {Heinrich} now I need to choose / find a bike! :scratch

/2 eduro bags

I have a project in mind of a vintage tourer...sorta. My question is, how roomy are the old Enduro bags, as seen on /2's for example?

I'm aware of the Corbin Beatle-Bag look-a-likes. But if I can put it all together? I'd rather have originals.

Thanks, Ron

Hi Ron, the enduro bags don't hold enough for touring so I cut a 1/2" piece of 9 ply baltic birch about 10" x 15", spray painted it black & used nuts/bolts to secure it to my fender rack. Then cut out rectangulare cutouts for my ROC straps, drilled 6 holes for bungee loops (Rider Wearhouse) got a black medium gym bag wide enough for my sleeping bag pad & kermit chair & I'm good to go. Just rode from St.Louis to Pasadena over Route 66 with it like that. I use the ROC straps to firmly secure the bag & then throw a 6 hook cargo net over that & attach it to the bungee loops & I'm good to go. The enduro bags are period & really make the bike. Oh, the tops do fly off so I just attached them with a 16" long plastic coated wire & secured it to the bags & top. Rick

Back