• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Recall: Transport Canada / BMW [2013] R1200GS

mika

Still Wondering
Transport Canada: BMW issued recall on R1200GS [2013]

On certain motorcycles, transmission oil pressure may be too high, causing the output shaft sealing ring to leak. Oil leakage ahead of the rear tire could render the vehicle unstable. This could result in a crash causing property damage and/or personal injury. Correction: Dealers will install an oil restrictor to reduce oil pressure at the transmssion output.

You have to wonder how an issue like that ever got thru to the customer. Seems they would have encountered that during testing. They did test, didn't they:banghead

How does one regulate pressure in the tranny? Reduce the quantity of oil?
And, is there an atmosphere vent? I'd expect a little bleed if there was too much inside.

You have to wonder how an issue like that ever got thru to the customer. Seems they would have encountered that during testing. They did test, didn't they:banghead

Testing? It's roughly the same transmission used on hexheads since 2005. The recall is not about the not-quite-released-yet liquid cooled bike. Also, the recall is limited to 31 bikes. That leads one to suspect that there was a specific manufacturing issue with those 31 bikes.

Correct. As I understand the recall it is the current model. I have searched US, UK, Australia, and EU - no recalls on their sites at this time. Maybe in the future but not at this time. Right now 31 units in one country.

Defective breather? That is about all I could imagine would cause an overpressure problem like that. (Breather # 23007693739)

Testing? It's roughly the same transmission used on hexheads since 2005. The recall is not about the not-quite-released-yet liquid cooled bike. Also, the recall is limited to 31 bikes. That leads one to suspect that there was a specific manufacturing issue with those 31 bikes.

Thought this was a major redesign of case...clutch relocated,output shaft flipped to port side? I was under impression this was the new set up being recalled.

The new bike has an integrated transmission with a wet clutch at the front of the engine case. There is no separate transmission case. There is no separate transmission oil.

p90104996.jpg

Edit: It is also quite possible that the description of the problem bears no resemblance to the actual issue and it is the new bike that is being recalled. :dunno

Last edited:
I have written BMW Motorrad CA asking for clarification. I will report what they say when I receive it.

This applies to the NEW Wasserhead. Not to any model you can buy today. Inside source says this will be corrected before any bikes are sent to dealers in the US.

It's a non-issue.

I received this in response to my inquiry for clarification:

To:
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 15:28:21 +0100
Subject: FW: Can you please help me answer this?

Good morning John,

I am responsible for technical support and recalls for Canada.

This recall is limited to the new R1200GS that will be launched in March. No previous generation air cooled models are affected. The actual number of affected motorcycles for Canada is 31. These motorcycles will all be addressed at the BMW retailers; therefore, no customer action or notification will be required.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Warm regards,

You're virtually welcome. USD okay?

Attachments

• 10Spot.jpg
    10Spot.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 49
Back