• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need more airhead wisdom R90/6

RCOCKRUM

Sheep Dog
Working on mounting racks and bags to my latest project. Thought I had it figured out, but I have a 5" gap at the back of the rack. Is there supposed to be a spacer in there or are they supposed to be touching? Nearing completion (for now) of the R90/6 with Velorex side car. I'll have more pictures soon. Thanks in advance for all the help you airheads have contributed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 155
Typically, those ears fit tight to the loop on the back edge of the sub frame. In fact, that is what it is there for. If you like the fit, you could use a long bolt and a couple of tubes cut down to make sleeves to take up the open span of bolt threads. If those are Krauser type pannier mounts, your large holes on the mounts go inboard of the shackles for the top shock mounting bolts.

Standard BMW krauser mounts on a '74 90S, shock mount. Right side.

Attachments

• P1000640.jpg
    P1000640.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 141
And the bottom mount at the muffler/foot peg hanger. All of these mounts, if I remember, have to be coaxed a bit nothing being exact in bolt on extras. Unless something is bent due to a laydown or I installed these wrong?

Attachments

• P1000642.jpg
    P1000642.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 142
Can only see the left side top shock mount in rcockrum's pic, seems it's either bent to mount on the outside of the shock, or the mounts are different from krauser's. This would account for the rear mounts being approx. an inch or so outside the rear mounts. And the bags seem to be hanging way too wide. just sayin.

It is normal that you'll have to remove the right bag to open the seat.

Actually Kent, it never occurred to me to use this kind of spread to allow for the hinged seat. I am tempted to give it a try.

Can only see the left side top shock mount in rcockrum's pic, seems it's either bent to mount on the outside of the shock, or the mounts are different from krauser's. This would account for the rear mounts being approx. an inch or so outside the rear mounts. And the bags seem to be hanging way too wide. just sayin.
Actually, true, original "Krauser" aluminum mounts are entirely different at the back end. His mounts look more like Reynolds mounts for Krauser panniers.

A collective thank you, once again. Moved the top mount inside the shock bolt and all went right into place. Rear mount is now snug against the spacer on the rear frame.

Back