• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ABS Light-06 R1200RT

INNKEEPER22

Innkeeper
Will be looking at a 06 R1200RT this upcoming weekend. The seller states that the ABS light stays on all the time.
What could be the diagnosis and the cost to repair?

Lots of possibilities, ranging from easy (misadjustment of the gap beween an ABS sensor and the tone ring) to hard (failure of the electric motor within the ABS module, or clogging of the brake fluid filter screens within the module). With a module failure, the dealer will want to replace it at a parts cost of ~$2400. Module Masters in Idaho has repaired a number of these for far less money.

moved over here to Hexheads...

Another issue on some of the 05-06's was the front sensor wire rubbing/shorting on the rotor...there was a service bulletin and most fixed by dealers.

Will be looking at a 06 R1200RT this upcoming weekend. The seller states that the ABS light stays on all the time.
What could be the diagnosis and the cost to repair?

Easy enough to diagnosis with computer code readings. Had the same issue recently on a long trip and the problem was a failed ABS modulator. The cost is significant at $2200 to replace. Would assume the worst and price accordingly before you buy.

I'm not familiar with your bike, but my R11R was pretty easy to reset the ABS system. I would check and see if resetting the system was as easy on this RT. You could be in luck and it is an easy fix. If the ABS still failed it would make me a bit nervous unless I knew what code it was throwing. Just a thought.

"Resetting the system" is not a fix. Fixing the problem is the fix.

Yes I agree obviously. I guess I will have to be more specific. I bought my R11R used and the ABS lights indicated a fault. I reset the ABS and the fault went away. That was almost 15k miles ago. Same could happen here....maybe not but it is worth a shot IMO.

Back