• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Lowering 2007 R1200RT using Hyperpro Lowering Kit.

So, I've reviewed all of the threads on lowering bike heights on the RT's, including shocks, low seats, custom seats, increasing the height of your boot soles, etc, etc. I happened to run across this web page from Hyperpro, that sells a 25mm lowering kit for $330.

http://epmperf.com/lowering-links.htm

Has anyone had any experience with this solution?

Thanks

I just recently installed the lowering springs on my 09 RT. I removed the shocks myself but had to take them to a shop to have the shocks taken apart and the new springs installed. I have taken the RT out several times since the install and the lower ride height is great, feet flat on the ground and much easier to move around or park. The ride with the new progressive springs is better than stock, a very stable ride although you loose a little ground clearance. I haven't had any problem with the side stand and it is a little harder to put up on the center stand but not that difficult. I would go for it.

Thanks for the information.

I just recently installed the lowering springs on my 09 RT. I removed the shocks myself but had to take them to a shop to have the shocks taken apart and the new springs installed. I have taken the RT out several times since the install and the lower ride height is great, feet flat on the ground and much easier to move around or park. The ride with the new progressive springs is better than stock, a very stable ride although you loose a little ground clearance. I haven't had any problem with the side stand and it is a little harder to put up on the center stand but not that difficult. I would go for it.

Thanks, good information. If lowering the seat is not enough, this will be my next option.

Keep in mind the consequences of lowering the bike will have on using the centre stand. After having my K lowered by a mere 1/2", it is impossible for me to put it on the centre stand when touring. You may not have that problem, but keep in mind that might be a possiblity.

Lowering

Keep in mind the consequences of lowering the bike will have on using the centre stand. After having my K lowered by a mere 1/2", it is impossible for me to put it on the centre stand when touring. You may not have that problem, but keep in mind that might be a possiblity.

I bought my 1150GS used and it was already lowered. For 300 dollars MAX BMW lowered both stands. It was expansive, but worth it being now able to use the center stand and to be able to walk away from the bike while on the side stand without fear that the wind would blow it over. ;)

Lowering RT

I bought my 1150GS used and it was already lowered. For 300 dollars MAX BMW lowered both stands. It was expansive, but worth it being now able to use the center stand and to be able to walk away from the bike while on the side stand without fear that the wind would blow it over. ;)

Whatever changes I make, I would like to be able to return the RT to factory specifications. While the Lowering Kit from Hyperpro can be removed and the RT returned to factory specifications, cutting the side and center stands would be more difficult to return to factory. I have an appointment with a custom motorcycle seat upholsterer to further customize my Sargeant low seat. He thinks he can get me from standing on my toes, to standing on the balls, which would be fine by me.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Lowering the stands is no big deal

My 2008 Rt came with hyperpro shocks lowered. The PO had the side stand cut and it was still way too tall and he left the center stand full sized. It took two of us to get it on the center stand. I bought a used center stand and took it to our local independent motor cycle shop. He cut the centerstand and inserted a rod to strengthen it and welded it together for $25.00. I still have the original one; so if you need to return it to stock do not fear. I'll send it to you.

For the bikes where BMW offers low suspension (R, RT, ?) - they also deliver them with a shorter center and side stand. You can order the parts right from BMW, no need to hack and weld anything.

C_Artgo,
A couple questions:

I have height issues with my R, and I'm between base of toes and balls of my feet when stopped on the bike, and have been trying to decide if I want to get a full shock system to drop the bike 1.5 inches, or just get the springs. I talked to the guy at EPM Performance and he told me that with just the lowering springs, the ground clearance is the same with no weight on the bike, therefore, modifying the center and side stand is not necessary. Did you find that to be true?

I have a 29inch inseam and when I was I sat on the bike last night with my riding boots, I incrementally stacked ply wood and 2x4s until I could flat foot the bike. I ended up needing 2.75 inches under my boots to flat foot it. I have the ESA standard height suspension on it now. How much of a difference does the lowering springs make on this bike?

Lowering R1200RT

I have not installed the lowering kit, but they will lower the bike by 1". If you get a low seat, that will also help with your stance. I am meeting with Bitchn Stitchn in Denver tomorrow, to have them hopefully lower my low seat to an even lower seat. If that is not enough, I'll consider the lowering kit.

C_Artgo,
A couple questions:

I have a 29inch inseam and when I was I sat on the bike last night with my riding boots, I incrementally stacked ply wood and 2x4s until I could flat foot the bike. I ended up needing 2.75 inches under my boots to flat foot it. I have the ESA standard height suspension on it now. How much of a difference does the lowering springs make on this bike?
What bike are we talking about? If an R1200R - I'd question what seat you have on the bike.. there is a "Tall" seat available in the original un-comfort(able) seat and the newer "comfort" seat. Sounds like you have one. If something else (adding that info to a "SIG" file that is automatically added to everything you post is a useful thing to do - results in much less guessing by people trying to figure out who you are and what you ride) YMMV.

I have a 26-27" inseam (as in a pants measurement) and with a low seat and a 3/4" lower suspension find it quite comfortable on the bike. Can't exactly flatfoot it with both feet at the same time, but I can usually get one foot firmly on the ground and the other one sorta on the ground. I seem to recall the RT having about the same seat height the few times I've sat on or ridden one.

Trying to lower the bike 2.75" would result in it having almost no suspension travel left, which will result in a very uncomfortable (and somewhat unsafe) ride.

What bike are we talking about? If an R1200R - I'd question what seat you have on the bike.. there is a "Tall" seat available in the original un-comfort(able) seat and the newer "comfort" seat. Sounds like you have one. If something else (adding that info to a "SIG" file that is automatically added to everything you post is a useful thing to do - results in much less guessing by people trying to figure out who you are and what you ride) YMMV.

I have a 26-27" inseam (as in a pants measurement) and with a low seat and a 3/4" lower suspension find it quite comfortable on the bike. Can't exactly flatfoot it with both feet at the same time, but I can usually get one foot firmly on the ground and the other one sorta on the ground. I seem to recall the RT having about the same seat height the few times I've sat on or ridden one.

Trying to lower the bike 2.75" would result in it having almost no suspension travel left, which will result in a very uncomfortable (and somewhat unsafe) ride.

I have an R1200RT. I bought it used. Minus the comfort seat, I believe there is two other seats, the standard height heated seat(ESA high suspension), and then the non heated low seat(lower suspension, no ESA). So I'm assuming that what you mean by "tall seat", you are talking about the standard height heated seat. When I bought it, I did sit on a R1200rt with the low seat and definitely not comfortable for long rides and I did not like the seat to foot peg position. At the time I bought the bike, I did not think about the height issue. When stopped once, I lost my footing, and the bike went on it's side. I was able to somewhat control the bike falling so damage was only a scratched side case cover. That was on concrete, so I'm nervous what could happen if I'm on real loose gravel. But I like the seat I have in relation to the foot peg position and I actually don't fined that seat that uncomfortable. Granted, I could lower the pegs also if I was to get a lower seat. I would agree, lowering 2.75 would be bad all a round. I have the battery removed, so the ESA may have been left in the Sport position which I believe is the hightest, but I could be wrong. I just joined yesterday. Have not done much with the profile.

For the bikes where BMW offers low suspension (R, RT, ?) - they also deliver them with a shorter center and side stand. You can order the parts right from BMW, no need to hack and weld anything.

My wife further lowered her factory lowered 1200 GS with Hyperpro 2 inch lower shocks. The side stand is fine but the center stand is a bit of a challenge. I have her pick up the rear of the bike somewhat when I lever it up on the stand for maintenance...or else I would probably be walking funny doing it by myself. But I think I could do it if need be.
I figured out that the factory lowered shocks are about 1.25 inches lower than stock. The 2 inch lower shocks make all the difference for her and lower the GS to the same height as her K12S which has a lower BMW seat on it. FYI.

My wife further lowered her factory lowered 1200 GS with Hyperpro 2 inch lower shocks. The side stand is fine but the center stand is a bit of a challenge. I have her pick up the rear of the bike somewhat when I lever it up on the stand for maintenance...or else I would probably be walking funny doing it by myself. But I think I could do it if need be.
I figured out that the factory lowered shocks are about 1.25 inches lower than stock. The 2 inch lower shocks make all the difference for her and lower the GS to the same height as her K12S which has a lower BMW seat on it. FYI.

When you want to use the center stand at home, you might consider rolling the rear tire over a 1" thick board before lifting. That should eliminate your challenge:)

But, I bet that you can't get the BMW parts for 25 bucks!

Back